How should we compensate Promo Boat Owners?

Horton

• Baller

Correct me if my wrong here but the goal is to have as many good quality tournaments available throughout the regions. The point of tournaments for many, is the social aspect but also a way to measure their level of skiing against other skiers in the country. Having similar approved boats within 3 years is key. Exceptions are (and should) be allowed when necessary but this should be an exception.

So in a nutshell we need to find the right balance between keeping tournaments organizers motivated to run tournaments, boat owners keen to bring their boat and skiers happy to pay a reasonable entry fee...

I agree with a lot of the comments and I would be happy to pay a bit extra to help with bringing new boats to tournaments.

Having said that, I do think Promo boat owners enter the promo program knowingly and if the problem is that fewer and fewer people want to do it, I am surprised that I have never heard about manufacturers / dealers looking for new promo team members? Have you?

In the meantime, I will be very happy to ski behind 2019 boats in next year tournaments and will do anything I can to support promo guys...

• Baller

@rico, I can only speak from reliable sources concerning Ski Nautique. Not only are they not looking for new promo team members, they have cut members from the team who still desired to be in the program. @skierjp can confirm or deny this, as he is obviously in the know.

In the not so distant past Nautique was seeking new team member in selected areas.

• Baller

@rico when Nautique revamped their program for 2018 we basically started with a clean slate. When we left our meeting we started at zero team members. That didn’t mean we wouldn’t use any past team members but the door was wide open for new blood. I posted here a few times looking for anyone interested and got nothing! At this time we have 34 Team Members. At the beginning of this post Jody has the numbers all wrong and the details of the program.

In the regions I coordinate, the South and the East, things seem to be OK. The big problem I see is during the winter meetings when states are scheduling tournaments no one even gives a thought to boat availability! Here’s a TIP, get your tournament in the Regional Guide. There is nothing more frustrating then a LOC calling 1 week out asking for a boat! There is a boat request form in the tournament packet, fill it out and send it in! Also, do not post your tournament as “towboat closed” if you do we probably won’t come. A closed tournament will not give the boat manufacturer credit for the tournament!

Here in Florida it is very hard to run a class C tournament. I’ve seen them cancelled due to lack of entries. One awesome idea I see done at Palm Bay and a few other sites is they start their record tournaments with F and C class. This gives the TC time to set up and aspiring drivers and officials a chance to work on their ratings. This may surprise everyone but the F & C only account for a hand full of skiers.

Nautique spends a ton of money on their Promo Team and has spent a fortune on the new true 3 event Ski Nautique. Nautique is dedicated to 3 event skiing along with towed water sports. We do 18 full weekends a year called Swervin Weekends where a Nautque Athlete is flown to the site for 2 days of fun skiing and coaching behind the new boat. This is geared towards first time skiers to gain more interest to the sport. It has been a huge success.

In closing, I can’t remember the exact numbers but Nautique pulled nearly more tournaments then the other 2 manfuctures combined. Stay tuned for more exciting information in the days to come!!!!!

• Baller_

@skierjp

Hey Jim please elaborate on where I got my numbers wrong!

Reminder I too sit with your promo team, help them where you can't , fix and repair these boats in the field and have general interaction across the board with these promo reps.

Not sure there will be a regional guide in 2019 . It has been discussed to eliminate it due to production cost. It is definitely a item of contention at the regional meetings every year.

I too have told Tournament directors to submit tow boat request through online sanctioning . There is a system,,, a broken one but a system.

Last year I asked you skierjp for a Boat for our May event at Cory's because Nautique would not or could not utilize the new boat. We are even a Nautique contracted exclusive site yet with over 45 3 event entrys. we were turned down and had to scramble to find a private boat. You were even invited to drive / officiate, comp room and entry and fuel cost..

In 2018 as a state federation officer I helped 5 Florida sites get towboat rules exceptions to run REL,C events. SRB/Cory, Lake Jillian, McCormicks, Milton and lake 38. All in the regional guide all full tournaments entrys. We all realize there is a limited amount if boats available. Not sure that comping promo/ reps will help if there are no boats available.

A big thank you goes out to Doug at Russell Marine. Doug stepped up after being contacted by other then regional promo coordinator and supplied a dealer boat to many north Florida and Alabama tournaments. I guess things dont seem to be ok!

Nautique Boats as well as MC and Malibu have really done an outstanding job supporting and providing equipment for our events even though their supply of available boats are thin. Our sport has changed since the hey day of three event waterskiing yet we as a organization refuse to change with it.

These manufacturers are looking for the best bang for the buck in their supporting investment. So far in today's day and age our sport does not produce much of a bang for these manufacturers and we are reaping what we sow!

Want a current boat for your events better secure it now or make alternative arrangements now!

• Baller

Sorry about your event but we can’t be everywhere and a 5 hour drive is a hard sell. As for the Regional Guide I’m sure there will be one online.

You got the $3500 right?

We’ve been down this road before when it comes to ski schools and Pomo Boats, unless it is a very unique situation and blessed by management Nautique does not utilize the Promo Team for ski schools . Ski schools are directed to use their own Nautiques ( contract ).

• Baller
@skiboat38 Florida does see the problem. Florida is unique in the fact there are so many ski schools that have tournaments. The schools that are contracted with MC or Nautique are required to use there own boats at there events/tournaments. this will or does will free up promo boats for other tournaments. The promo boats cannot be at all the tournaments in Florida as stated above. As of now there are only 5 promo boats in the state. And that includes all 3 MFGS.

• Baller_

@skierjp.

the name of the tournament in May is Florida Inboards open! Yea "i" work with the site owner to utilize their site however it is not a ski school event. Emerald coast boat and ski club is the sponsoring club.

I could have drawn other boats from Malibu and MC however I respected the agreements that the site owner has with Nautique.

So back to the blinders !

Let's see in central and so Florida I know of at least 10 available different nautiques that were utilized in the 2018/19 spring, summer and fall. Maybe 3 different Mastercrafts and maybe that many malibu's.

Also again big shout out to Doug Hamrick for sending his boat or personally transporting his boat the 5 hours to many of the north Florida and south Alabama events. Russell Marine Rocks !