Ski SoCal?

radarboy32

• Administrators

@radarboy32 So Cal might be the hardest place in the US to find a place to ski*. Outside of Mission Bay I do not think there is a club opportunity south of Bakersfield.

* yes I am sure New Mexico is worse but for a place with 24 million people there should be some public access slalom courses.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
There are courses in (mission bay), San Vicente Reservoir(really pretty, go there someday for leisure skiing), Imperial Lakes(normal skiing), and probably all around other lakes. But clubs are hard to find. The main reason is because we don't have a boat (hole in the water in which money falls), so I am looking for a club. Mission bay is almost definitely the best option. However, for a day trip to a different place, I don't have a place.

• Baller

The Quarry went dry (via evaporation) before summer. It was a short season, barely 4 months. We will need a lot of rain to re-open late Winter/Early Spring.

The Carlsbad Lagoon is off Tamarack and the 5. No club. You have to get a launch permit and city permit to launch your boat. Fall to Spring is the best chance to ski early in the AM. You always run the risk of the course being partially up (heavy tide & marine life takes it toll) and you always run the risk of the wakeboard group.

I'm in Orange County or else I'd join you in Mission Bay. As @Horton said, hardest place to ski. Amazing how we get frowned upon by skiers/boarders as we put our boat in salt water (Lagoon/Marine Stadium). It's that or don't ski locally when the Quarry is dry.

• Administrators
@radarboy32 I do take "strays” in periodically. A couple of super nice guys came up from Orange County last week to ski for the day. I don't run ski school and I don't sell rides but I'm happy to help people get water time when I have the time.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators
@jcamp those guys have talked about having a club or a school but I just don't think I've ever gotten any traction. I think they're mostly a duck hunting club. Somebody will correct me and add more information

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Sunset Ranch and Desert Oasis are a couple of old clubs near my Mecca site. Desert Oasis has been dry for a while. Sunset Ranch used to rent a house on the lake with a course but I'm not sure if the course is still in. Their club lake is dry. They had a cable for a while but I don't think they ran it last summer.

One of the Sunset Ranch guys now hunts my lake. The duck hunting in the Mecca area is spectacular. There are several duck clubs nearby. My lakes are full of ducks - unless you are hunting there - then the ducks show up after sunset.

Another lake nearby is Shadow Lake in Indio. But a lot there costs more than my three lakes in Mecca (did I mention the Mecca lakes are for sale?).

The Coachella valley is pretty nice (except summer which is too hot). Visit for sure!

Eric

• Baller
@radarboy32 I just PM'd you. It's tough with no boat, but not all the regulars at Mission Bay or San V own boats. The best part about having Mission Bay as my home site is that I suddenly ski amazingly well my first few sets when visiting a real ski lake. Seeing dolphins and sea lions in the course is pretty cool too.

• Baller

The Coachella valley is reasonably close to LA and quite close to the Inland Empire (Riverside,Ontario, etc.). So there is a huge market to draw from. The area has cyclically boomed recreationally, starting with the Salton Sea, "California's Rivera". Duck hunting was another early interest. Clark Gable (or Cary Grant - some famous movie star) was an early member of my Mecca Duck Club (that I converted to ski lakes. Agriculture flourished. The Coachella Valley produces much of the world's date crop. Early season table corn? Yep, all from here. Then, three or four crops more crops grow on the same field that year! Then golf, incredible golf.

However, every economic downturn hammered the area. It's too hot for full time residents in the summer so LA didn't sprawl there. The Salton Sea kept rising and flooded all the prime waterfront real estate (Google Bombay Beach). Water isn't nearly free anymore. Now the Salton Sea is shrinking, drying that fancy back yard. We were the last real estate to recover from 2008.

Specifically regarding the ski lakes, my shrimp farm was the first ski lake there (1982). My club was hopping with a huge waiting list. So I built Mecca with its three courses to fill out the waiting list. Desert Oasis and Sunset Ranch started around the same time. So none of us really filled up our clubs. Shadow Lakes was built to get the upscale housing development market.

I sold Mecca to a fish farmer - and ended up getting it back, sigh. I lost the passion for Mecca, had a couple serious partner/buyers but couldn't get it to happen (seriously looking for the right person now - contact me!). The driving force behind Desert Oasis left and the lake dried up (amazing what the driven person can do - or how they are missed). Sunset Ranch tried a commercial cable park - I'm not sure what happened (it was busy) but it killed the club, upset some owners and the property is now for sale. Shadow Lakes has a bunch of mansions around it. The old shrimp farm is overgrown with cattails and will probably end up as part of the Dos Palmas preserve.

And it's hard to find a driver anymore at my personal lake. Plenty of glass and warmth though. So come visit me!

Eric

• Baller

@radarboy32 https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5360559,-116.0578654,1012m/data=!3m1!1e3 is the Mecca site which I'm selling.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4787115,-115.8398319,1426m/data=!3m1!1e3 is my private lake in North Shore where I typically ski.

@bananaron Shadow has several homes around it now. It's a fun ski site. I haven't heard complaints about crowds. It has a reputation for summer butter glass. But it's not a tournament site. It's very long with an unusual layout. I'm not sure how rollers or multiple boats work. The wind fetch makes the course unskiable often. I have never skied there personally despite several invitations and attempts - blown out. Note that one of the first wind farms is not too far away in Banning so wind is a factor for us. It is very pricey.

Eric

• Baller
Will be calling eleeski in January and see about some skiing on his lakehave no problem driving the boat so that he can ski. We will be staying about 75 minutes away and can go must days. Hope others take up this invitation.