Ski drag from bindings.

ski6jones

• Baller

Interested in what problems people have had changing bindings? I have been trying to change from Vapor front to a hardshell system. Finally figured out the problem was drag from a buckle on my front boot. Reconfigured the front buckle and Voila!, problem solved.

A friend recently told me you date your ski, but you're married to your bindings. Very true.

• Baller

Surprised by noticing front binding drag, i see that with the rear binding outside rear cuff. I was having an issue with that upper cuff buckle in the back. With my FM boot I took a belt sander to the shell and smoothed off all the contours and then removed the upper buckle and just pushed the ratchet strap into the receiver side.

I do notice sonce going to the hrt that there are fewer catches/stalls so maybe there is a drag catching issue.

• Baller

@ski6jones I was pushing the plastic teeth with my thumbs since the beginning of using hardshells, had no need for the buckles so after a while I thought of getting reed of the buckles that rust over time and create drag.

I have marked the tooth and I can force it to the receiver with my thumbs.

• Baller

For @Zman and other doubters my average is into 38. Changing from Vapors to a hard shell I was expecting some challenges. Up until yesterday I had run 28 and ONE complete pass at 32 off, a pass I rarely miss. Changed the front boot buckle and ran all my 28s and 32s.

Still need to learn the hardshell as opposed to the vapor but I think now It's possible. Before? Not so much. It was like a switch, so definitely the front buckle on the binding.

It was my onside turn and the ski decelerated so hard in the turn I wound up swimming. There is no doubt.

• Baller

It seems others have tried to streamline their bindings by removing buckles, etc.

I was about to give up on the setup, but one very simple change made everything work.

I guess the point is factors other than how your ski and binding interact can color your impression of a binding/release system.

As has been noted in other threads binding tech seems to lag skis in general.