Reflex vs. Fluid Motion vs. Other?

skispray

• Baller
I'm considering getting a new binding for my trick ski. I've been using a Fluid Motion Revo Max binding for many years and it's a great boot. I've replaced buckles, etc. but I think it's to the point where I might as well just get a new boot. Wondering if people have experience with the Reflex binding for tricking and how it feels and holds up? Can anyone say how these two brands stack up for trick skiing? Anyone out there using anything other than these two brands that is worth recommending?

• Baller
I've tried my brother's Fluid Motion and it's definitely wider than a Reflex, so if you have either a wide or narrow foot, that may influence your decision. The FM is way heavier, but that depends a bit on what release option you choose.

• Baller

I like FM's option for a non releasable binding. Might be safer to learn flips. And other tricks.

I also like the feel on FM boots.

But Reflex is the industry standard. Something is there.

Unless something weird happens, either boot will serve you well.

Eric

• Baller

As I get older and more fragile, I want less binding release. An undesired release seems to hurt me a lot. Perhaps I'm trading minor injuries for a higher risk of a catastrophic injury. Binding release hasn't been a factor in any of my injuries - yet. But I do lots of quad tighteners and stretching so I'm strong enough to break the binding before my body.

Reflex is easy to reset. If you do release, your run isn't over. And I've seen some quality releases. But they do take maintenance and I've been frustrated with releases I didn't deserve.

Eric

• Baller

@skispray your choice of trick binding can depend a lot on your level of tricking. The MOB system releases easily from the toe in an edge catch, others do not. I am not as good of a tricker as @eleeski so as I have gotten older and more fragile, I want my ski to release in an edge catch! If you are a 1000-4000 point tricker, the MOB system can make tricks much more enjoyable while you are improving your skills! If you are like me and just trying to keep up what you used to be able to do, those sudden stops from an edge catch hurt! If you are still working your way up in points, the MOB release is a less painful path! I do agree that as you approach 10K+ points you probably want to be more locked into your ski, but obviously your skill level will allow that. Oh, and the MOB is easy to reset also.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller