Hardshell vs Shin

Garn

• Baller
I took a hard and fast over-the-front this past weekend. This is season three for me of being in the Syndicate Hardshell. I've came out of my binding a number of times. But this was the first time that I took a chunk out of my rear shin. How common is that? I think I may start doing something that I just dread....wearing a neoprene spray guard on my rear leg. I haven't worn one in over 10 years ever since Wade Cox kidded my about wearing a "girdle". But I don't want to bang up my shin either. Was this a freak thing or does it happen often?

• Baller

That happened to me once on my reflex on a pre-release fall when I didn’t have the tension set tight enough.

For a while I put a soccer shin guard under a neoprene leg spray sleeve, but it hasn’t happened again since on either the reflex or HO hardshell.

• Baller

I've had it several times just from tail blowouts and releasing. Really hurts and takes forever to heal. I dreaded it but ended up wearing a soccer shin guard with a spray leg to hold it on, you need to tape the spray leg top and bottom so it doesn't blow off. It's a bit of an effort but certainly works.

One of my wounds got infected which made it take even longer to heal, so you really don't want it to happen in the first place.

• Baller

Love the binding, but hate the shots to the shin. I've taken several and they suck. I've tried using a sprayleg with a plastic shin guard under. That lasted about 3 sets before the shin guard fell out and was gone. You also feel it and it's just not normal for slalom. Might work for the trickers, but not slalom.

This Shin Guard has been a life saver for me. It's not as thick as a plastic one, but hugs your leg like a spray leg and the front has a decent bit of protection. If you are trying to heal up a shin, but the spray keeps opening it back up, this thing will do the trick.

-Spencer Shultz

• Baller_

Hey Spencer. One of our members had the same injury last week. While he heals, he’s wearing a spandex sleeve made to provide elbow protection. Consequently it has some reasonably heavy duty rubber padding that sits right over the injury. While he hasn’t needed the padding again since starting to wear it, it seems to stay in place well and looks like a good solution while the shin heals.

Maybe it is a good idea to take the sharp edges and corners off the plastic block.

FYI, Wade was over when we skied today, and didn’t say a word about a girdle.

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier it is seriously one of the most annoying injuries in our sport. The sleeve you posted looks very similar to what I'm using. Maybe a little bit more coverage, but that's not a bad thing!

Hopefully as the sport evolves, we can somehow minimize the block. My concern with filing it down is that it won't be able to take as much stress as what the block on there does now. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't say I really want to do the R&D on that!

• Baller
You could probably round them a smidge with out issue, but most of the heel ledges aren't very sharp anyhow. People have covered the release but I'm convinced its heel block - possibly you could put a blob of silicone on the bottom of the heel ledge wrapped up over the bottom corner?

• Baller

My 1st release with a Vapor and MOB and I got a very minor bruise on my back shin. Certainly something sharp makes it worse, but any hard object banging the shin is going to hurt, and potentially break the skin. It would be nice to have something to protect from that, but I don't want to wrap myself in bubble wrap either. I guess reserving the use of a shin guard for healing after the fact is the most practical thing.....