Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Question for older skiers 65+ skiing at 32 mph

Cam

• Baller

When I skied at 34 mph my norm was mid -32, now at 32 mph it is low -32 so was wondering if any older skiers had found success moving to a larger ski of the same model or a top of the mid range ski?

I have had some good advice from @twhisper and @SkiJay on this but am wondering what other older guys have done that worked when dropping speed.

• Baller

I've found that moving to a larger ski has not been a major impact. Despite the obvious increase in level of difficulty with advanced speed, slower speeds tend to bring to light one's defficiences. In other words, one's lack of doing things the right way really show up. Handle control becomes ever more important. It's easy to get early when you decrease speed but width becomes all the more difficult. It's also a mental thing that you have to overcome, the sight picture of the buoy out front will lull you into a false security, your speed falls off and you're narrow. You have to stay strong and connected after the second wake.

I'm surprised that you seem to have lost buoys initially. Usually most people will pick up nearly a full pass and it will gradually fade away.

Again about ski size....Dennis Longo (M8, about 150 lbs) skied deep 38 on a Nano One 65.5 when M8 was 30 mph. So, with proper mechanics the ski size is less a contributing factor than most believe. If anything I think wider instead of longer would be in order.

• Baller
If you want to try a bigger ski, try a wide ride or mid ride. Bob Hardeman has had great success on a wide ride. Radar Senates are scaled wider, as mentioned above. Skis are such a personal preference, you never know if you will like it until you ride it. You might find that magic ski that makes it easier to do what @LeonL recommends.

• Baller

@LeonL I have had video coaching from TW & Skijay this year but that is still a work in progress, just trying to find out if any skiers at my level have benefited from a ski change when they dropped the speed and as @Dirt says make it easier for me to work on technique.

This is my 2nd year at 32 mph the 1st was better but the ski I was on broke so I went back to my previous ski.

• Baller

@Cam so you have had coaching from TWisper and you know he is a great believer in early edge change regardless of speed or line length, at 32mph you have to keep the handle longer, for me it is about having enough room for the ski to swing out and back in again it is not about being super wide and early and making yourself over work it.

I think from my prospective you have to look at where you are with weight & ski size if you are at the lower end of the weight for the ski you are on in my opinion you woud be better staying with the Performance standard ski how ever if you are at the top of the weight range for your ski a similar size wider ski may have some benefits.

If this is the case it,s a case of suck it and see, it would take quite a few sets to make a comparison.

These are just my thoughts, I considered getting a wider ski but have choosen to lose weight so I am at the lower end of the scale and stay with my Pro Build.

• Baller
A couple years after dropping speed a ski buddy moved from a HO Monza to a HO Superlite TX. Within a few weeks his average score increased 6 to 8 buoys. Since then he's tried a few top end skis like the Vapor and V-typeR and struggled so he's sticking with the SL TX.