Balast

Jetsetr

• Baller

Anyone experiment with balast in front of the driver/observer to flatten the wake out a bit? Thinking 100-150 pounds (maybe more?) to move the CG forward a bit, thus flattening the wake (in theory). How FAR forward also makes a huge difference as well for the same weight. Was thinking of moving the fuel tank forward (easily enough to do) but as the fuel burns off the CG moves back aft. Obviously if you get too much weight forward the boat is going to start driving goofy...

I usually practice between 24-32mph... The wake is not REALLY an issue, my theory is if I can ski well (defining ”well” is another issue!) behind my ‘89 Brendella I can ski well behind anything. Skied behind a early 90’s Malibu Sunsetter the other day and my Brendella’s wake was MUCH better at the same speed (28-30). The Malibu is heavier, wider and longer though...probably better at higher speeds.

Thoughts???

• Baller

If you just want to flatten the wake, the most effective thing you can do is to get rid of overall weight in the boat. Empty out what you can. Remove backseat, keep the tank below 1/3, ...

Putting ballast upfront usually helps tracking, not so much flattening the wake.

I hid a 40lbs weight disc plate in the bow of my Response which noticeably improved tracking at slower speeds (30/32). It didn’t effect the wake (which is pretty good anyway) at all.

• Baller

I put the boat on a weight loss program-back seat is out and removed whatever is not needed. I do start with full fuel since I usually burn a full tank off, and refueling isn’t a easy option. Only holds 16 gallons so that’s 96 pounds...you would think if you could raise the stern by moving the CG forward it would also flatten the wake...making the boat plane “flatter” vs a stern low attitude.

We can easily change an airplanes attitude at any speed by shifting weight...ya think this would be the same.

I have a digital inclinometer- I guess I could put it on the dash and see where it ends up with at “x” speed and then move some weight around...

• Administrators

@Jetsetr I would guess adding bow weight will make the wakes bigger. I would also think a hundred pounds at the very back of the boat makes very little difference.

A 89 Brendella already has a pretty darn small wake. That wake may be hard but is it not big.

If this is a hobby knock yourself out but if you really think you are going to make the boat better it may be a boondoggle.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

At trick speed, weight in the back of the boat has a significant effect on the wake. Weight in the front has a minor effect but still makes the wake bigger. That's why we typically weight the back of the boat to make the trick wake bigger.

At slalom speeds, hull dynamics dominate the wake shaping. There's a lot of energy in the speed to lift spot loading. Getting more of the front of the boat in the water might help tracking without doing much to the wake.

Lighter weight to push will certainly make the wake smaller. Run the tank light and stash a couple fivers on the dock.

Different hulls will react differently so testing could be worthwhile. But that Brendella wake is pretty small to start with. I can't remember if it has a trim tab but playing with trim tabs can make a huge difference. Easier than moving a fuel tank.

Note that the aircraft will be able to trim out any allowable CG loading with a quite small trim tab on the elevator.

Keep experimenting and update us.

Eric

• Baller

Will see if I can find some tabs...

It’s a pretty nice little boat- motor runs like new, I added the Stargazer 3 event PP (know the hardcore guys don’t like Stargazer but it works great for me) separate GPS speedo (purchased that before the PP) a nice bimini, appropriate tasteful Radar stickers and it sounds bad ass...

@Brooks- an older boat can use some “Radar Love” too...like a rope holder/engine cover sleeve -just say’n!