FF Advantage Poll

Than_Bogan

• Baller

After voting RFF and LFF may have an advantage.

RFF probably has an advantage at turn in and gate. But then again 100% of passes both lff and rff get a shot at the gate.

Where as RFF has disadvantage where a great 6 ball turn is pointless and you dont get to practice 5 ball on your hardest pass that frequently.

Guess the point being the challenge of a LFF gate shot I see as less difficult than the challenge of a fatigued 5 ball offside turn. And a fatigued 6 ball offside turn that doesn't need to make it through the wakes maybe less of a challenge.

• Administrators

I never really wanted to be left foot forward before but I've been studying video of Trent and his gate is just insane

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoUxcuBgWic/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=13gh7e863s0fq

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

So, the sample size is still a little on the small side, but the pattern so far is very strong and quite surprising (to me):

RFF people believe foot-forward doesn't matter.

LFF people have no agreement whatsoever about who has the advantage!

Honestly, what I expected to see is exactly what lpskier said in jest: The other guy has the advantage. But those two choices are less than 30% of the total, whereas the pattern described above is rather obvious. Weird!

• Baller

As RFF, I have an advantage, or should, for the gate turn in to one ball. I have to make 3 good toe side side turns, which should give advantage to LFF.

But, my toe side turns are my better ones.

So, if I could change my selection, I would go with RFF, and RFF has the advantage.

• Baller

A great gate can make a pass. That said, a great 1 ball can make a pass. So, which one is the bigger advantage? I’ve always thought that the turn in and setup into 1 are the bigger factors.

I’ll also say that EVERY TIME I’ve had the thought “that gate was perfect”, I’ve missed the pass. That may just be me

• Baller

What I don't know is whether most people tend to turn better on their on-side or off-side. Over the years we've taken a lot of photos of us skiing from the boat hoping for that one amazing picture capturing your absolute best moment. I have to say, I get a lot more pics where my form looks good and I'm making a better cuts on my off-side and it feels to me that my off-side is better than my on-side.

If most other skiers are like me and better on their off-sides then I would theorize that maybe being RFF could give a slight advantage in the course. That's because at the odd numbered balls, RFF is always one off-side turn ahead than the LFF skier. At the even numbered balls it's back to even but there's never a point where the LFF is ahead in off-side turns; they're only ever even or one behind.

Now I'm not counting the gate turn here but you don't get any points for making a gate turn do you? You only start getting points for going around #1 so that's why I'm thinking you might have a slight advantage being RFF IF you turn best on your off-side. Admittedly, I don't run courses so my logic may be totally flawed here.

If it turns out the majority of people turn best on their on-sides then using my logic one would assume LFF might have a slight advantage but right now 6 of the top 6 ranked elite men's skiers are all RFF and 8 of the top 10 ranked are RFF. That doesn't seem to suggest an advantage for LFF. On the elite women's side, things are much more even in the top ranks. Not sure why things are currently so tilted on the men's side and so different on the women's or if any of that means anything. My answer to the poll would then be IDK.

What percentage of people ski RFF vs LFF? Do we have a handle on that?

• Baller
I like this poll...I'm LFF and think RFF has a _small_ advantage. I count the gate turn in for sure - but I would add that I think it's a slightly more important turn than the others, controversial as that may be. Given that's the onside for a RFF, it's easier to make properly. A good start is crucial to a good pass....my logic anyway...

• Baller
If I mess up ball 6, I'm probably still going to score 5+ and even more likely will ski away and out the gate, messy as it may be. If I mess up my turn in, and I'm far less likely to make the pass, and as a LFF, I _do_ find my gate turn in very challenging most of the time (laugh all you want - I seriously find the gate difficult most days)

• Baller_

Here’s a radical suggestion: no matter whether you are RFF or LFF, if your gate sucks, work on improving your gate. I’ll bet that if you polled coaches only you would learn that 90% of ski school students that wish to improve in the slalom course would most profit from working solely on their gates during a ski school visit.

Andy had a back to back two ball course on his lake. One trip down the lake, two shots at a pull out, glide, turn in, gate, one two. Awesome training tool.

Lpskier