Indoor Ski Lake

LoopSki

• Baller
As the lottery reaches $ 1 billion , I am trying to figure out what I will do with my winnings. After I buy a King Air and put in a run way , I'm wondering if I will have enough left over to convert the lake into indoors . Is it even structurely possible ? Retractable roof of course would be nice .

• Baller_
I think Schnitz had some sort of plan or strategy for an indoor lake. If I recall correctly, the estimated price was about $5 million about 12 years ago or so. I haven’t visited his website in a long time, but I thought I saw some info about it there.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Make sure you add to the budget lighting so skiing can be enjoyed at any hour of the day:-)

Off topic: on track wind tunnel testing is done by a certain race team in a mountain tunnel to eliminate the wind factor, the team simply bought the road / mountain property. Needed big fans to evacuate the exhaust gases.

It's certainly structurally possible to put a roof over a lake, We actually half jokingly looked into it at one point. The biggest issue by far is climate control inside the building. You'd need to turn over a LOT of air to keep the humidity in check. That air would typically need to be heated in the winter months or it will quickly be the same temp as the outdoor ambient air. So even if the building was $5 million (which would be about right for a simple, no-frills approach) the HVAC would likely be at least that. The operating costs would also be a significant hit.

Certainly possible but a $125k boat would be cheap by comparison and likely more enjoyable to maintain.

• Baller_
I kind of remember a mostly covered ski lake concept drawing of one in WSM. A student did the concept for a class. Looked amazing and with one side somewhat open (if I'm remembering correctly) would eliminate humidity issues but not cold issues depending on location.

• Baller

For 1 bln you can buy a couple of dozens ski locations in the world best places, couple of decent jets with nice crew. And ski wherever you want in accordance to weather forecasts.

Do not forget to leave open invitation for ballers which may want to join you. It will help you not to get bored and feel lonesome.

• Baller

@aspski Capacity of indoor ski tube is thousands of people per day. There are hundreds of skiers in the tube simultaneously (ratio of skiing down/going up is about 1:10)

Capacity of indoor lake max 5 skiers per hour equal 50 pers per day.

probably this is an answer. Pure economics (Kapitalizm!) ))

• Baller

@A_B passive geothermal heat. Like a giant greenhouse. My concept was the rooftops form a water source. Water goes through biological filter beds with plants. Roof is inflated bladders for insulation properties but clear. Support for roof black absorbive tubes through which water is pumped for heating via passive solar.

Surrounding facilities are > than ambient temps.

• Baller
Seems to me that the Mall of America has no heating/cooling system installed. Don't remember the details of an article I read, but size of the enclosure, ground heat and sunlight keep the indoors environment pretty constant in Minnesota year round.

• Baller
@BraceMaker I've been thinking about the same concept. Some sort of a cart with a pylon mounted on it would be pulled on rails by a cable loop (similar the cable of a ski gondola) and you are all set. The rails and the cart would need to be pretty strong to sustain the pulls of a short line skier without collapsing... Easy!

• Baller
@thager, Interesting that you bring that up. Before I left Arrow Electronics earlier this year I was working on a new project for Triple 5, the owners of Mall of America that effected the HVAC. In conjunction with being the prime electronics supplier for their new Mall in NJ, we were also looking at replacing all of the lighting in MOA. The working groups to do design on that were enormous because so much of the MOA environment is heated by the metal halide light fixtures. For what it's worth, only the common areas are non heated. The individual stores do have their own HVAC units. AND the mall has AC, as it's required to turn over the air, condition it, and in a lot of cases has to cool the ambient air even in the dead of winter. But you are correct, there is no forced heat in the main MOA structure.

• Baller

agreed with @BoneHead used to work for Innovent and we put some HVAC units on the new addition and they did, in fact, have heat. Camp Snoopy (what's nickelodeon universe?) is mostly glass ceiling so that acts like a big greenhouse and definitely doesn't need heat.

to the OP, I too have daydreamed about an all season lake. Is 150 feet wide enough? if so, could buy 8 of these buildings and be well on your way to an indoor lake:

https://mbmisteelbuildings.com/metal-buildings-for-sale/150x250

• Baller

@Lars AWSA used to specify 50 foot clearances. It's not a rule anymore but most original ski lakes were built to that specification. So the minimum lake would be 175 feet wide. (260' for a jump - I'd be wary of a jump in 150'.) It might be possible to use cutouts to get the clearance (I did that with my outdoor lake - whether that could work with the buildings is another question).

With that said, 150 feet should be plenty. Pad the walls near the buoys.

My old lake had cattails quite close to the buoys. I never hit them but one member did (needed a couple stitches).