Scientific study: Spray Wax vs. Compound Wax

h2onhk

• Baller

I can spend a lot of time applying compound wax a couple times a summer or just wipe the boat down with spray wax after each use. Sometimes I do both. We all know some form of wax is effective in maintaining a nice gel coat but how long it lasts and how well it works under normal conditions has always been debated and usually an owner preference sort of thing. Does anyone actually know of any scientific studies on which type of wax provides the most protection and lasts the longest? Wonder how you would actually quantify the data... Wet mills? Microscope? Surface friction?

I like my boats shiny. Its cold outside and I haven't skied in weeks. I've got nothing else to contribute to BOS right now....

• Baller_
Sort of personal experience but I had my 97 SN professional waxed 8 yrs ago. Took the guy like 4 hours. 3 or 4 stage process with what I think he called clay bars. He used 3 or 4 diff ones. Set the bar on the spinning buffer and loaded the buff pad. Then went to work on hull. As a profession, he was the guy in charge of buffing out hulls as they left the mold for baot company. I think our knowledge and the off the self products are inadequate for the most part compared to what this guy did as that's all he does. Since then I've only spray waxed (50/50 Mothers/water) after each use. Still looks great. And boat used year round in FL.

• Baller

depends a lot on your water. My dad has an '01 Malibu that gets waxed once a year, never gets wiped down after use, and never gets any sort of mid-season touch-up or spray wax. Other than oxidation from the sun on the transom, the boat could pass for a 2-3 year old boat. But the water on that northern WI lake has passed drinkability tests in the past.

For most of the rest of the lakes I've ever been on, spray wax works well but once or twice a year, should wash the boat with vinegar or dish soap to remove all the wax and put on a coat of "real" wax.

• Baller
Rejex for a semi liquid polymer sealant, much tougher and higher gloss then wax plus much easier to apply, and F 11 Top Coat is a spray polish and sealant that takes maybe 20 minutes to do the boat. Check it out you won’t be sorry. A little pricey but this product goes a long way and is worth every penny. These 2 product are the real deal. Been doing this a long time on my boats, Vettes and Harley’s.

Babes boat bright after use. Never have to wax the boat. Have spots Babes spot solver. Spray on the boat while dry and then wash off. Seal the boat with babes boat bright. I use exclusively and we have water that tends to spot the boats. With regular use of babes. I never wax my boat. Looks brand new and shiny all the time

• Baller
Consumer Reports runs tests on waxes and Nu Finish has consistently proven to be the longest lasting in their car wash test. I have been using it on my boats and cars since the stuff came out and was top rated by CR. I also use Lucas Slick Mist Spray Wax every other time we wipe the boat down. I keep 2 Sham Wows damp and rolled up in one of the plastic containers they come in and they are quick and easy to use. Slick Mist smells great also. We don't have a Babe's dealer anywhere near, but have heard good things about that as well. I just grab stuff at Autozone or wherever I see it on sale.

• Baller

I’ve used the 3m marine paste wax for years with really good results. Last season I tried some Klasse sealant I had for the cars. Really did a nice job and even easier to apply. I use the Klasse on my wife’s car and it holds up for a solid 6 months.

If I was taking delivery of a new boat that I intended to keep for a long time, I would strongly consider Opticoat. I have it on multiple vehicles and it makes cleaning them an absolute breeze. Never wax again and dirt just slides off. We considered it with our CarbonPro, but it was originally intended to be a promo so we couldn’t justify the cost which we’d never recoup at sale. I do use Optimum Power Clean on stubborn hull stains. They literally wipe right off.