SN 200 carpet replacement

Hk196

• Baller_
@Hk196 : before you pull the carpet and have exhausted your cleaning options, give 'brake clean' a try on the spot. Spray it, then use rag/towel/paper towels to dry it off. Finish with soap/water bath, good luck.

First I did cut out the certain piece and glued in a new piece of carpet. Worked quite good but I did not want to look at this repair. Then I used a carpet inlay but I am not satisfied. I think I will stay with a complete new carpet. Lot of work but worth I think...

Deckadence over carpet makes no sence. The advantage of deckadence is, that it always feels dry because it soaks no water. The water can run in the bilge with deckadence on gelcoat. On carpet this will not work and the carpet stays wet...

• Baller_
@Hk196 : Can't help on a new boat as the more annoying chore is the actual removal of the carpet. It all depends on how well the glue is holding and if you can pull up the carpet relatively easily. Use it as a template for you new install. Get lots of sharp razor blades to ensure clean cuts on carpet if you get it uncut from a mill. Not hard, just time consuming and being patient cutting your new carpet. Look for seams, edges to start your removal pulls. Given newer boat, I assume you are going to at least try CC for replacement or to ensure you get same material as current. For us doing older boats, it is a search / price compare sourcing at various marine carpet suppliers. I suggest you go to several of their websites, some tend to provide some good tips on 'how to'. Good luck.

• Baller
I personally would like to see someone try a carpet to sea dek conversion on a 200. If someone went through the effort and made templates, I’m guessing there would be a market for a kit. I personally would be interested. Does anybody know if under the carpet is white gel coat? I’m sure it would be a ton of work to clean up glue. I’m guessing it could be done though.

• Baller

I did a carpet replacement on a 72 Hydrodyne many years ago. Was pretty easy to pull up carpet using a large putty knife to separate carpet from floor. Used old carpet as template. Had to sand floor with belt sander to remove all the old glue. Was about 4-5 hours of putsy work

total. Was not a hard project to do!