Which Boa system on Vapor boots?

TallSkinnyGuy

• Baller

I was talking with a friend of mine who is an avid cyclist and saw that he had a boa system on his cycling shoes. I commented that I had the same system on my ski boot (2017 Radar Vapor boot) and he asked if I had a backup lace/dial. He said his have broken many times so he always carries a spare lace/dial with him.

I'd hate to go out to the lake and spend the time to drop in the boat and get ready to ski only to have my lace break. So, I looked on the Boa website to see about ordering a backup. Turns out there are a bunch of different systems. Mine looks like it is probably the L4 version, but I was hoping someone here could verify that before I order one.

Also curious if anyone has actually had one break and if the replacement process is very difficult.

• Baller
Yes, you are correct. Watch the repair video to see how to do it. I have a 2018 Vapor boot and the laces did break once. The hardest part of the repair was threading the new string through the very tight eyelets of the boot and getting the correct pattern. I had to use a sewing needle and a thimble from my wife.

• Baller

Looks to me like the L4 would be what they would have on gloves. For the Vapor boot it seems like the H2 or 3 would be more likely, though none of the knobs on their parts page looked exactly like the knob on my Vapor boot.

Having a repair kit on hand definitely seems like a good idea.

Maybe @brooks can point us in the right direction?

• Baller
My 2016 broke this spring. The part that the BOA dial screws into had a hairline crack and the screw wouldn't stay in, but otherwise still worked. Duct tape to the rescue until BOA sent me spare parts. Yes, it's the L4 model. BOA has lifetime guarantee on their products.

I broke my gloves BOA system a few weeks ago. I luckily had enough cable to not need a kit. However i did search high and low for the a tool I'd have in my garage to unscrew the screw to remove the cap. I finally found a T5 torx to work. I'm not sure if this is the same screw for the bindings, but just throwing that info out for the web.

(looking from the link by @pregom some require a T6 or a different tool)

• Baller
So.....how many people have had issues with the BOAs on their Vapors. I am now ordering spare parts for my BOA that has already worn out in about 3 months. I question the model of BOA Radar chose for this boot. The models of BOA used would be most commonly found on tennis/athletic/low cut SHOES. There are stronger models of BOA such as M models that are for use with hiking and fishing boots, or even better, the H models found on snowboard boots. The amount of force needed to get a snug fit in a cycling or golf shoe, made of more flexible and thinner material would be quite a lot less than needed for the much heavier make up of a simi hard shell water ski boot. And, they would be put under quite a bit less stress in use than the water ski boot. Seems like a stronger model should have been put on for more durability.

• Baller
@UWSkier I have always tightened the laces on my 2018 Vapor only to the point where there is no more slack but no more than that. Early this season I took a fall and I came off the boot. When I went to put the boot on again for a second set, I noticed the laces had broken. I got a repair kit and was able to put everything back together.

• Baller

Just curious. Can someone post 3 pictures that show a closeup of the BOA used on the 2017, 2018 and 2019 Carbitex boots?

I think they are slightly different each year. Some years they adjust both ways, to tighten and to loosen. Other years you can only loosen by pulling up.

• Baller

Actually the dial on my '18 doesn't match up 100% to the dial online. Looking at the directions/video for repair I know that is the correct model tho. I believe the '18 was the 1st year for the reversible loosening. I think that helps mimize wear, being able to loosen tension a little before pulling the wheel up. As @swerveit stated above, 2017 is an L3

2018 is an IP1, 2019 is an L6.

Here is the parts page on the BOA site.

Here is the warrenty page for ordering replacement parts.

• Baller
Yep, looks like mine. I didn't really look at the 2017 model, but I actually wasn't sure if I had the 2018 or 2019. The instruction video showed that you pry up on the wheel to remove on the '19. There is a small hole in the O of BOA where the T6 head screw lives on the '18. Thats what I have.