Aussie Malibu

DW

• Baller

The writing on the wall behind Springers right shoulder in one of the pics VTX is scribbled a few times. Also the pre ‘16 VTX beam was I believe 98” so that falls at or below Aussie max width laws.

It does say all new however...??

Aussies love their direct drive boats and it does say it will be a ski boat.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being something similar to the old 99-2004 Sunsetter/Wakestter LXi. Those boats are still in high demand today, ski very well and do pretty much anything else.

• Baller
Not surprising that if what @ozski is saying is true. The only real thing the TXi has over the Response LXR or closed bow is size and electronics. I have owned both a 2013 TXi and a 2001 Response(same hull I believe as the Aussie Lxr or closed bow). The wake on the TXi is not any better. I would say from personal experience that I would rather ski behind a LXR than a TXi as the LXR wake is narrower and disturbs the ski less. The TXi is not worth the extra cost unless you absolutely need the extra room or you have to have the latest.

Hmmmmm Interesting.

recently "attempted" to buy a local 2018/19 TXI closed bow, after seeing they are back in production in the US. I've always enjoyed the ride behind TXI's locally, I was not aware they are different from US hull? I cant afford to import another nautique since the USA economy is back on its feet.

Was firmly told no one would buy a closed bow tournament boat here, and no plans to introduce the closed bow TXI -shame. Im not fussed on a open-bow and the extra chamois work required after skiing drying them out. Im yet to see someone up front on a TXI whilst skiing.

• Baller

Malibu Boats Australia posted a teaser photo on their Instagram.

Transom looks like Response LX. Windscreen is similar to that of the new TXi.

Definitely a DD. The Response LXr was first made in Australia before it came to our shores. Wonder if this one will do the same. Doubtful as I imagine it's still built using the old construction method if the top deck is a variant of a previous Response mold. Pretty sure they don't make boats in TN that way any more.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo90pReA2Hh

• Baller

Do the sides bulge like the new TXi or is it just the way the gel is patterned? Looks pretty good although it’s hard to really see properly yet.

I think the reason these revamps sometimes fail is because once you have had a 20’6” x 95” (TXi) boat it’s hard to go back to 20’ x 90” (Response, LX, LXR). You feel like your giving up space, storage and shoulder room. Maybe this one pictured is also the smaller dimensions? Looks like maybe a closed bow Response LX, LXR hull with a top and windshield to resemble a new TXi.

• Baller_

@oldjeep and @DavidN, I priced the LXR when it was introduced (and I already had my 2009 LX with ZO). It was more expensive than I thought it should be. I also heard from those that had one that the modification to make it a walkthrough open bow might have negatively affected the wake and handling. The boat did not perform as well as the LX and these skiers had many LXs over the years.

These things might have affected the success and I don’t think the offering was in the true spirit of the classic hull, low price combination that many skiers have desired.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@Chef23, my thinking was that the LXR or a continued production of the LX should have been able to match or beat the price of the Centurion Carbon Pro, which was in the low 40s. In January 2015, I actually was quoted a price of $52,000 on the LXR, which I thought was about $8000 to $10,000 too high.

• Baller_
The LXR at a higher price point than a Carbon Pro would be a tough sell, the CP gets excellent wake / slalom reviews, the LXR tends not to get as good a review on the wake aspect. It also was simply an RLX with a walk through top deck so not viewed as an 'all new' boat which probably did not help the cause, see previous post as example.

• Baller
Seen that new “lxr” the other day when they were doing the photo shoot! Looks really good in person and from what I seen the interior has had some nice upgrades too! The lxr is a pretty big seller here in aus. Remember a txi here is 80k plus and lxr’s start at 67 so it’s good entry point for people to get into a Malibu.

• Baller
I liked everything about the LXR looking at pictures. It was essentially an updated 93-97 Echelon LX. However, upon seeing one in person there was no recessed area for my feet/legs, so I was essentially sitting on the floor as the seat was even barely elevated. I'm a relatively tall guy so that was incredibly disappointing.

• Baller_

@UWSkier, I’d also like to know if those ski racks would be available for purchase to retrofit into an LX.

I like the boat. Nice upgrades. I would want to be sure the walkthrough design change from the original LXR doesn’t impact wake or handling. Hopefully, this walkthrough has addressed that. It needs to perform exactly like an original LX. I had heard the previous incarnation of the LXR did not perform identically.

• Baller

@MISkier I'm not sure about that either. I've also heard there was something about the LXR that turned people off to it. I've never driven or been behind one so I'm not sure what the issue is. I know my LX is quite sensitive to weight fore/aft. Perhaps the change to the interior architecture and switch away from Indmar power somehow affected the wake and performance.

I don't imagine this boat is any different than the LXR. It looks mechanically and physically identical. Pretty amazing that this exact hull and deck configuration (minus walk-through) has lived since 1999. Going on 20 years. Wonder if they're the original hull molds... :)

• Baller

The previous/current LXR to ski behind is virtually the same as the plain old response/lx. However of the few that I have driven, none have tracked as well and typically sit a little nose high in comparison. Making it a walk through open bow removed too much weight from the forward area of the boat. While im yet to see this new thing in person, it looks like even more fiberglass (weight) has been removed from the top deck and bow area.

This will likely be a well selling family boat in Australia and satisfy the majority. This boat will not have anywhere near the same pull or drive-ability of a well setup txi.

• Baller_

@auskier, I think you are noticing what I also heard. Those that had an LXR (after a bunch of LXs) said it didn’t drive the same. If the lesser weight affected the tracking, then the nose high attitude may have also brought the wake up a bit.

If that is the cause, then the really good news is that it all can be fixed with a couple weight bags. On the plus side, it might be harder to dunk the nose with riders up front, albeit only marginally harder.