Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

New extremely portable slalom course

E_T

@skihart It’s impossible to say, the guidelines change every day so we might go into lockdown as well.

But for the last couple of weeks, parts for the first batch has been rolling in, filling up the house from where I run this business to the rest of the families joy :)

I will update as soon as I have more info.

Thank you for your patience.

//Erik

x9714lge1e3h.jpg

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller
We are looking at purchasing an EZ-Slalom Compact Course pretty soon and would love to hear from any early adopters of OffCourse. I will be interested to learn if the splash can be seen when the water isn't perfect.

@Stefan

First of all, I know you've been on our list for quite some time now, thanks for bearing with us!

We will start from the top of our pre-order list and work our way down to make sure the ones that been waiting the longest get their OffCourse™ first. However, the top half of that list is all US orders so all units in this first round will end up in the states.

Hopefully, some units in next batch will end up in Sweden :smiley:

• Baller

I talked to the Maloons about this maybe 15 Or 20 years ago. They wanted to see a proto type.

I talked to Andy Mapple about it in 2013 or 14. He equated free skiing to playing basketball in a parking lot without a basket and liked the idea. He mentioned a guy he knew in Texas with the kind of brain it would take to pull this off but I can’t remember who that was.

There is at least one patent pending from 20 years ago on this subject when I looked into it.

This needs to be integrated into a boat manufacturer smaller V drive line up.

I had considered the same concept with deployable drones or laser pointers. This could bring slalom skiing back from other wake sports but my guess is most of us here are in courses on private lakes more than open public water.

Super happy to see something finally show up and would love to see it reviewed, endorsed and marketed by a pro skier to the masses. (Regina, Manon, Whitney or Montovon?) These guys need to get out west and find the wallys out here who know what a slalom ski is, won’t be on a private lake any time soon and have the $ to throw down.

• Baller

I am overly excited about this concept since I don't have access to a course. That said, since it is winter I can't purchase anyway but I will be looking forward to real reviews. Things like how easy is it to get replacement balls, what does it do for gates, easy of use (my driver sometimes struggles with things like the perfectpass), etc.

All that said, what a cool innovation and I only hope it works well enough for them to take my money.

Kevin

• Baller
I guess the real question is: can this reasonably replace a slalom course for a serious shortline skier, or is it just a super cool thing to have some fun with? If the answer is yes to the first part, I'm in. But I'm going to need to see it and probably ski it to believe it.

@rbuss4 We are currently developing our own ball that we aim to start selling come spring next year. For now, we recommend an environmentally friendly paintball with a gelatin shell and bio-fill which biodegrades completely. We recommend our customers to buy these balls and CO2 cartridges from a US supplier since CO2 can't be shipped by air.

Hi Ballers!

hqk3vjwyvso5.jpg

Here's an update.

The OffCourse™ has been on the market for a couple of weeks now and we could not be more thrilled!

Turned out to be a great group of beta testers, these guys really put time and effort into testing the OffCourse™ and got back to us with valuable information.

Batch 2 is in production and we are taking downpayments for these units now.

This batch will come with a few updates, some of which are listed below.

The firmware is updated with a new calibration program for setting course width.

The new version makes it possible to mark three splashes in a rapid sequence on the same side. This way the skier will have a straight line of markings as a reference point when setting width instead of just one splash.

The entire trigger mechanism is updated for increased reliability with new hardware and software.

An LED is added for feedback on 12V power and GPS-signal.

If you want me to set one unit aside for you from this batch, shoot me an email at erik@rodicsinnovation.com and I'll make it happen!

Thanks!

• Baller
@kurtis500, I have tried the OffCourse and the balls did not skip. It's gonna be great with the new function to set the course width @ErikBerghiller writes about above because that is the tricky part. Course width is very sensitive to a potential passengers position (has to be the same as when setting the width). Otherwise it's a great product and allows for course like skiing if you do not have access to a proper course where you ski. @jpwhit I also understand that there are plans for longer cartridge tubes so you can have 24 in each one instead of 12. That means the balls and the gas will match in longevity and you will be able to ski six passes without reloading anything. Those longer cartridges will not fit under a bimini top though and that's why it will be an option.

• Baller

I can certainly understand the technical challenges with course width. Small changes in the angle of the launcher will have a pretty significant effect on course width. I assume this will mean you'll have to do a calibration pretty much any time you start a session when there is any change in the distribution of weight in the boat. I'm also assuming that changes in wind direction and speed will change the course width as well.

Having the option to do six pass set without reloading would be pretty important for me. But I think I'd need a solution that works with a bimini.

At the moment, I ski at a private ski lake more than half the time. And I sink and float a ski course at my lake house. My interest would be for an easier solution at the lake house. But since I ski at a nice permanent course on a private lake, I think my standards are likely on the high side for the intentions of this product. And when I factor in the reloading and having to do a lot of width calibration, its not clear this will end up being less work. Maybe the reality is I'm not the target user for this product. I guess that's really been stated already. The target user is a more casual skier that has no access to a traditional course.

• Baller
As long as it's pretty close to course width, I'd be ok with it. I don't get to ski a course much these days (or ski much for that matter), and it's amazing how bad my width and timing gets from open water skiing. I get back in a course and have to re-learn practically. Off Course would at least keep me in the ballpark on open water.

No kidding. The first batch supposedly sold out immediately. I have my deposit down for the next batch figuring that there would be some real deal reviews on the product by the time my times comes. I’m not on social media (I don’t think this site counts) so I’m not seeing anything besides what would be posted on their site or on this forum. Very odd to not hear anything from the first group of buyers. I love the solution and I’m really hoping some users come forward with their thoughts.

• Baller

I had a chance to order one from the first batch and passed. No reviews and it still seems priced far too high. I'm assuming the typical buyer has a few people chipping in to buy one.

If they bring the price down to $1k I'd be a buyer. Until then....

• Baller
I spoke with Erik via email a couple weeks back. He told me that batch 1 shipped right about the time folks were shutting down their seasons so not much experiences to draw out reviews from. I too am waiting to see something from anyone who has used before I put down my deposit. Sure wish there was more to see/hear.

• Baller
I don’t use my Bimini. I’m excited and patiently waiting to see some reviews. Would be neat to run it thru a course to see how close it is. Either way, I’m very interested to see some videos of it in action. I don’t have access to private lake. Looking forward to seeing some videos and reviews of it.

• Baller
I really want to buy this but am not willing to spend that much without seeing a few videos of setup and how to work it. I worry about how repeatable it is to get consistent ball placement, how does the system start the pass, what the communication needed between skier and driver, etc.

• Baller

Exciting product (Listened to the full podcast). I am 2 hours from the nearest slalom course in the winter months; but just 1/4 mile from a public lake. At the price point I can only justify as a tool to improve my buoy count rather than a toy; then again, the entire sport is really a toy/recreation as I don't get paid to ski, lol. At a minimum I would like to see some in-depth testing videos to justify the purchase. As many have mentioned, I would love to see it run through an actual course to compare. Seems like a great product to offer a demo rental program. (Hint I am a professional video producer and would be happy to barter a professional video in exchange for the product).

Some constructive feedback from a potential customer (and marketing professional): The bottom line of economics is "the next best thing" so the value of this for me is based on:

Can I become a better skier (hence gaining more enjoyment and personal satisfaction) spending $2,500 on the Off-Course versus. spending that money to get more actual course time at a ski school, part time lake membership, gas to a public slalom course...

Will it help my buoy count on an actual course vs just free skiing and doing drills?

Could it actually hurt my buoy count in a tournament by being off just enough to mess up timing in an actual course? I can get stronger, learn to stack better, turn harder, tune ski; all without a course; but nothing can replace running a course to get your timing down. I am not a short line skier yet but... #goals

Is it hassle free enough that the 1-6 hours I may get in a week on the water is not spent fussing with it?

Are the consumables cheap, readily available and easy to change out?

How long will it last?

If my situation changes and I gain access to a course can it easily be sold privately or sold back (obviously for less than new)?

• Baller
I agree with $2.5k being an expensive experiment without any user reviews or videos. Still hoping to get some and have the chance to purchase. It's a bummer for Erik because I know he has a lot of time and $ into this, and needs to make something. For $1500 I would probably buy it today and hope it works like his couple videos say it does.