E_T

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller
@Drago Our floater does OK. When ckose enough in wind doesnt get down enough to really bow the course. But if you lob a paintball through the air its going to be impacted. I think this is just solidly in yhe nature of the beast be cool to compensate but it would involve at a minimum an adjustable firing valve. I could see having some sort of Biasing control. But if extremely windy probably a no go.

• Baller_
I would think the crosswind would have less affect than the moving boat. Seems like the boat's forward motion would have as much, if not more, effect on the projectile in a manner similar to spitting to the side of the boat at 34 mph (or whatever). So, the velocity for the projectile needs to already overcome that without curving the trajectory backward like your spit. If it can overcome that, then a crosswind may not affect it in a significant manner - probably similar to being off center down a real course by a couple of inches. Even the centerline to buoy measurement for consecutive buoys on a physical slalom course can be off by as much as 9 inches and be within intolerance. I'm guessing the projectile landing location in a slight crosswind may still be in tolerance.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@MISkier the boat moving doesn't matter from buoy to buoy as long as headwind or tailwind remains constant. If you're in a 20 MPH headwind straight on, the distance between splash 1 and splash 2 will remain roughly the same as if there's no headwind. They'll just be further "up-course" meaning the entire course would start a little early.

• Baller_

@UWSkier, I think you are missing my point. Even in dead calm, the boat moving forward has impact on the projectile as it leaves the barrel. In order for the impact of the boat movement to have minimal affect on the trajectory of the projectile, a certain amount of projectile velocity is needed.

So, if there are crosswinds, my assertion is there is enough velocity that the projectile’s landing location is not materially shortened (or lengthened). And, any shortening or lengthening of the landing distance from the boat that did occur from the crosswind would be within the normally allowed tolerance of a physical slalom course.

• Baller

@MISkier since it has that movwmsnt every shot doesnt the impact on that not matter? Ie. If you were drive by shooting a paintball gun at a person on a dock you need to compensate for that relative motion. But in this case since each and every one has the motion the whole thing is just off in reference to where if would have been but it isnt off with one another.

Bigger thing would be since a 15' skier turns the ball alot further behind the boat than a 38' skier either you have to rotate the shot further back and compensate to shoot it further or just set the ball to a certain maximum shirt rope length and for all longer lines the splash becomes staler and staler. Another way to put that is if you accept that a 41 off skier is turning basically even with the pylon they would need to have the shot go off early and forwards relative to the hull so that including flight time and the impact you are referencing of curved flight that the ball is still far enough forwards to be even to boat when the skier arrives.

Where as at 15 off the skier is how many feet behind that?

• Baller_

Let me try to clarify to what I have actually been responding (or attemping a response).

@thager asked about crosswinds, presumably because he felt a crosswind would resist the projectile in one direction and assist it in the opposite direction. The concern probably was that such an effect might cause the buoy splashes on one side of the boat to fall narrow and on the other side of the boat to fall wide.

My posts were, to this point, failing to show that the concern about crosswind may be unwarranted, as the velocity probably already was enough to overcome the effect of the forward motion of the boat on the trajectory. As such, the velocity would probably render any crosswind effect negligible.

I was not making any commentary on the longitudinal accuracy of the splashes. If there is any widening or narrowing of the course due to crosswind impact, it is my assertion that it is within the tolerance of the physical slalom course dimensions, which can be from about 37’ 4” to about 38’ 1”.

Regarding the firing of the projectile relative to rope length, I think the projectile needs to fire where the location of the buoys are supposed to be in near perpendicular orientation to the boat. Stale splashes are a natural consequence and I don’t think any adjustment for rope length should be made.

Hi Ballers!

Here's a video of some late autumn OffCourse™ testing and some answers to your questions.

@BraceMaker

“Might seem people are being backseat engineers, but if you are developing a product you would think this is all good information.”

-We do, we read all the posts in this thread and take them under consideration so keep 'em coming!

@skibug

“Kudos to your innovation and commitment to the sport. I think your invention opens up the sport to a ton of big water skiers and that is what the sport needs. This may have the single most impact on growing the sport than we have seen in a long time.

I remember, as a kid free skiing on a public lake, joking with my ski friends about how cool it would be if you could just make buoys "pop up" as you were skiing so you could turn them. This is that!!! So cool!!”

-Thanks man, we can’t wait to see people ski the OffCourse™ on public lakes!

@moski

“I have a 2015 Malibu TXI, but i keep the windshield always open since my 2 kids go up to bow. QUESTION - Can your device fit on the boat with the windshield open???”

-No, unfortunately the OffCourse™ won’t fit with the windshield open. However future versions might. We strongly recommend not to have any passengers sitting in the bow area while the OffCourse™ is in operation mode.

@scottscott

“Actually......along the line of what @vonman said.....how hard would it be to have a setting to modify the width to have a mini course?”

-The first time you use the OffCourse™ you need to calibrate it to fit your boat, height vise. Once your OffCourse™ is calibrated you can easily adjust your course to fit beginners or warmup sessions, and then get it back to standard width.

@moski

“This is cool. Can’t wait to purchase. I talked with a buddy. He is excited to purchase too.”

-Awesome! Make sure to make pre-orders on our website. That will help us evaluate the market and determine manufacturing volumes for the first batch. By placing a pre-order you don’t legally sign up to purchase the product. However you will be the first to be able to get it when it’s released in 2019.

@MISkier

“I would think the crosswind would have less affect than the moving boat. Seems like the boat's forward motion would have as much, if not more, effect on the projectile in a manner similar to spitting to the side of the boat at 34 mph (or whatever). So, the velocity for the projectile needs to already overcome that without curving the trajectory backward like your spit. If it can overcome that, then a crosswind may not affect it in a significant manner - probably similar to being off center down a real course by a couple of inches. Even the centerline to buoy measurement for consecutive buoys on a physical slalom course can be off by as much as 9 inches and be within intolerance. I'm guessing the projectile landing location in a slight crosswind may still be in tolerance.”

-Exactly, the projectiles have high velocity (we do not lob) in relation to the distance to be covered which makes them fairly insensitive to the boats headwind and crosswinds.

Thank you once again for all excitement here. We read everything in this thread and take it under consideration while the development process moves forward. If you like the OffCourse™ show your support by clicking the interest button on our website or better yet, place a pre-order to make sure to be among the first ones to get one in 2019!

All the best!

Erik Berghiller | Product Developer

Rodics Innovation

• Baller_
I know I said I'd quit commenting as suggested by Horton but it seems it's of interest to the developers to share our ideas and post questions. All a gotta say at this point is ...this is the coolest damn thing to hit the water in decades of waterskiing. I believe it will bring back skiers on all the courses lost on public waters and more. So impressive.

Hi Ballers,

5hll2l44uvhc.jpg

Getting the OffCourse™ ready for the market has taken more time than expected, the timeline has shifted and we aim to launch it in early 2020.

The project is very much alive, we just wrote a PO for a custom made circuit board, membrane keyboard and new firmware for our pre-production run. We will start the beta testing this fall.

Since the OffCourse™ is a cutting-edge product that has never been made before we hope that you’ll bear with us, thank you for your patience!

All the best!

Rodics Innovation

• Baller_
Eric, did you by chance encoperate a skier triggered start to firing the markers vs driver triggering it?? That would be epic and it would allow for better timing on the pendulum swing.

• Baller
Great idea, but my Giant Schnauzer is our spotter. Since his favorite game is retrieving off the dock, it might be an issue keeping him on the seat when that thing starts firing missiles. My buddy dropped his glove in the water the other night, and my pooch was ON IT!:)

Hi Ballers,

w43lxzborms3.jpg

We are excited to tell you that in the past few months, the OffCourse™ has taken several big leaps forward towards production!

During the fall of 2019, we got the design finished for the PCB, firmware and membrane keyboard. We put it to the test, simulating over one thousand passes in a slalom course to verify that it has the performance that we are looking for. This January the OffCourse™ went through the rigorous EMC lab tests needed for CE and FCC certification and passed with flying colors.

The freeride revolution has never been closer, stay tuned!

Thanks,

Rodics Innovation

• Baller

@ErikBerghiller I’m excited to see this for us freeriders in big lakes, since I don’t have $$$ to build my own ski lake. Be cool to have a lake in my backyard w/ slalom course for during the weekdays after work. But nothing like being in big lake to hit other covers and other areas of a lake. Be cool to turn this portable slalom course on as we make our way back to the cabin in the evening as the water is glassy or turn on in the morning while its glassy to head out on the lake to visit coves.....

I am waiting patiently..

loving the funny comments @UWSkier lol lol. And @2Valve lol.

Hi,

I have a question for you guys.

I need measurements for the thickness of the window header on the Ski Nautique 200 and the Ski Nautique 2019 to make sure the clamps will fit all windows. Closest one I know is a two-hour drive from here so I thought you guys might want to help me out?

Please measure like on the picture, on the thickest spot, preferably with a caliper.

An attached picture would be awesome.

Thanks!

zkem0yj4subo.jpg