E_T

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Slalom skiing with an endless course? OffCourse™!

Are you tired of spending more time preparing your slalom course then actually skiing? Then listen up, a new way of the slalom skiing we all love is around the corner. Introducing the OffCourse™, a revolutionizing way to roam the water, creating a slalom course on the fly.

The time of big, heavy and inconvenient slalom courses are over, thanks to Swedish company Rodics Innovation. All you need to do is start your boat, plug in the OffCourse™ and you are all set. The OffCourse™ is a patent-pending device that creates a slalom course by creating water splashes where the buoys usually would be. It’s powered by carbon dioxide cartridges, that continuously fires away projectiles to the water which shows you where to turn.

Rodics Innovation has not held back in the making of the OffCourse™, using aircraft grade aluminum and high-quality Swedish stainless-steel to ensure that the device holds for the impact that comes with skiing like a badass. Also, all the projectiles used are totally biodegradable which keeps the water clean even after all the havoc you’ve caused from riding it. The OffCourse™ is a result of years of work, late nights and countless testing sessions. It’s created by enthusiasts driven by a passion to change the way of water skiing as we know it. Making you able to roam the water like never before with a sense of total freedom, leaving no traces behind. It’s just you and the lake, like it should be.

Find out more about the OffCourse™ at Rodics Innovation’s website or on Facebook 

Pre-orders are already available – and the release date is set at May 2019. 

• Baller_

This is very cool. Folks moved to a lake that will NEVER have a slalom course. So when I'm there, free skiing is the only option. But it does have skiers and ski boats.

Would love to see it head down a slalom course at speed and see how close it comes to hitting buoys. Either way, 1000x closer to a slalom course then none allowed in a lot of lakes and getting worse. Sign me up as a test dummy.

• Baller
I’m Almost sold but Again, gates and 55’s? Access to a course no matter who you are, hopefully less and easier/cheaper maintenance. Always glass water. Wifey won’t get tired of going to the same lake because it’s the only one with a course. Realistically priced.

• Baller
If you think about it, the 55s and the gate are just timing cues. You could almost have those be a light on the boat (configurable) that blinks when the 55s are X feet from the boat and then again when the gates are at a certain point on the boat. Then the GPS can start firing balls out from there.

• Administrators
You guys are making this too complicated. This is never really going to replace a fixed slalom course but it's a fantastic training tool for people who don't have access to one. My assumption is the first ball is off to the left and that is your zero ball and you go from there. I'm not going to practice my 38 off gate like that but if you are just trying to learn to ski better it's way better than nothing.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

HOLY COW! I started working on something very similar about 3 years ago. I bought the paintball guns, built the control board, and wrote the arduino program, but that's as far as I got. It's been sitting on the back burner ever since. My program relied strictly on timing, no GPS so this one is better. The problem I was chewing over in my head was dealing with wind and side to side boat attitude. I'm assuming these guys have worked that out. As for the 55's, I don't know what they are doing, but my program was written to accommodate a strain gauge on the pylon, when the load goes high on the gate pull out, it fires a "zero ball" to set you up for your gate. The strain gauge also acts as a safety, if there is no load on the line, the guns won't fire. The added benefit was a "skier fall" alert to the driver when there was no load on the line after a short delay.

I'm so stoked (and a bit jealous) about this, I doubt my version ever would have made it to market so having this pop up is awesome.

• Baller
Innovative for sure, however, could this be a nail in the coffin - on top of the public's concerns about high speed, crowded water, and wake damage - that shuts down what's left of access for towed water sports on public waterways? Think I'd much rather free ski.

• Baller
I have 20+ miles of fairly straight river just a couple miles from my house but between state regulations and issues with strong river flow/runoff episodes it's basically impossible to put a course in it. With this bad boy I can just drop in and tell my wife to drive straight. I'm definitely interested.

• Baller_
@thager, I like the idea of the couple marker buoys, but I’m skeptical about the feasibility. It seems as soon as you float a couple volleyball-sized orbs on the water, the tree huggers and DNR think you’re installing the next Deepwater Horizon.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The hard part for dropping in actual gates would be triggering the Offcourse unit at the right point relative to the gate. If Offcourse fires in a "zero" ball as @Horton mentioned (which would make sense) then the driver would have a hard time triggering at the correct point relative to the gate. Or maybe the Offcourse trigger/timing is relative to actual gate location- in which case the driver could trigger the system as he drives past the actual gate buoy(s)....or if skiing without gates the driver would trigger around the time the skier turns in.

Although, the website says that the unit holds 24 balls- for 4 passes. So using a zero ball and 7 per pass would not be the best use of the mag capacity.

It would be a fun/friendly contest to see who can get the most "buoys" at a given speed/length where 6 is normal, but 8 or 10 or 12 buoys start to get really tough.

• Baller

I love the concept here. We are constantly battling with the course on our lake and honestly it just wears you down.

I'm not super crazy about a big contraption mounted to the boat that has to come on and off every time I want use it and then cover the boat after.

Now imagine a future world where this takes off and gets integrated into a boat design. Now we'd be talking. Shoots out of a hole on either side of the boat at the top of the gunwales. Imagine if it became like Zero off just a standard feature on a 3 event boat. Heck it could make a nice training aid in a course even. You could have a little setting that offsets the shot a certain distance up course from the ball using a properly mapped zero off course. Giving skiers like me a target to ski at to learn how to get early on the ball.

• Baller

This is awesome! $2,500 seems kind of lofty at first glance, but perhaps there'll be some sort of BOS discount once they become a sponsor (they're insane if they don't market on this site).

I think the gate solution is what @Horton says, just shoot one left. Sure it's a wasted shot, but how else would you get into rhythm?

My next question is what are the projectiles made of, and how much do they cost?

• Baller

Considering the price of a decent course is $900 to $2000 this isn't unreasonable for a technology that will never be mass produced. Frankly I am surprised how cheap it is.

@bigskieridaho I would wager that the vast majority of people do not have access to a club let alone a $2500 club.

• Baller

@bigskieridaho $2400 would cover most ski lake memberships but me being a family man the ski ditch is just for me and I’m by myself. it’s something I can’t get my family into. With the rocket launching slalom course I can make a family fun day on our many local public lakes and spend just 10 minutes during nap time for dad to ski a set then it’s back to family fun day.

Somebody mentioned it before but the more I think of it 55’s and gates are just timing cues. If a green light were to flash you know that’s your 55 then the yellow means you better be center line. This won’t replace a slalom course but would give way more opportunities to ski. Heck, when somebody sees a boat firing paint balls they’ll say WTH and want to come by and check it out and maybe strap a ski on for the first time, or first time in many years.

• Administrators

@dave2ball Who cares is the boat is perfectly straight. I do not think this is for really advanced shortline skiers. This is a tool to get public lake skiers a start so and get addicted.

Same goes for all you guys asking where the 55s or gates are. If you want to make it more complicated you might as well get a anchored course. This tool is for the skiers who find a anchored course impractical. I think it is a fantastic idea and really hope it is a smash hit.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can