Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Best Skis Specifically for 28-32’ Off

jipster43

• Baller

I have always thought the high-end skis will give me the speed advantage that my poor form struggles to create, but I’m beginning to question whether their slightly less stable platforms are undermining my ability to gain the confidence to change my position on the ski and really ingrain good technique.

I have been on the Mapple 6.0 for rhe past five seasons and it has been great, but I’ve been reading various comments about skis like the Radar Senate that can help with my progression level. What other skis might be better suited to finally running my 28’ off consistently and knocking down 32’? What skis have others found success on at my level? Are there top-tier skis like the Vapor, GTR, or EVO that will do the trick too?

I’ve gotten some fantastic video coaching from @twhisper and have been drilling good form at my opener, but I thought a change of arrow might be another confidence booster.

• Baller

This year I started with the new Vapor, EVO, and NRG, all great skis. Of the 3, the EVO was by far the fastest ski cross course. First set, without the ski even being setup yet, it breezed through 28 and 32 with ease. Actually, without what I would call my best form. The lightness and the speed kind of threw my timing off. I was running buoys, but in a weird way. It was like, shoot cross course, narrow, turn, shoot cross course, narrow turn. I spent a month skiing on it with different setups, even with the Denali Fin. The problem I ran into was at 35 off. I could not increase cross course angle once I loaded. I realized the ski required a lot of forward pressure to do that. If your Nate Smith, no problem. I ended up doing better on the NRG, so I went with that. I could get late and make it up and scrap better with the NRG, but it is not near as fast.

So if you want a ski to run 28 and 32, no matter what you do then the EVO will put you there. To go beyond that you better be a Damn Good skier.

• Baller

Thanks @Ed_Johnson ! I have gradually brought my dragging arse closer and closer to an engaged position and I’m also breaking my habit of turning and then adding lean and then subsequently getting broken at the waist by the second wake. Since my lesson with Terry, I’ve been trying to get my weight up and over my ski more which is currently where I’m needing a little more confidence.

The EVO has definitely sounded like a ski that would suit me pretty well. The GTR sounds like a ski that may actually correct mistakes that I might make. That sounds pretty intriguing too. I’m not worried about how the ski performs at 35 as I’ll be more than happy to purchase another ski if that becomes a problem!

• Baller
@Bill22 I just got the new 2019 Vapor PB and it is amazing. Super fast across the wake, turns are effortless, and the new layup addition is even an improvement from the 2018 which is awesome. Will make you crazy early for the next ball. I am skiing those line lengths now thanks to this ski.

• Baller
@jipster43 I've been skiing on the Mapple 6.0 ever since it first came out. I've tried three or four other high performance skis but keep going back to the Mapple 6.0. It is fully capable of running -28 consistently at any speed I've ever skied. In fact -28 is my opener. Bear in mind that I'm in M8. I've only used the ski at 30 and 32 mph. I have doubts that any ski will actually correct mistakes made by the skier, but that is not to say that you can't do better on another ski. Most of us are willing to spend serious money for a chance at skiing better. Just don't expect miracles.

• Baller

My main ski partner went from an Arc to an 18 Senate this summer. Instantly moved up 3 buoys as his average.

That Arc is a phenomenal ski, but at 34 mph and -28 and -32, maybe the Senate does more of what he needs. Could be entirely due to his skiing style, but we are talking about his average increasing half a pass, not just his PB, so it’s not a fluke.

• Baller

I think if you can run 28 off consistently there is no down side to being on one of the high end skis. I think a Senate or Omni in the best construction would also be great for that level. The wider skis would likely be more forgiving so you may improve your average. I don't think you hit the ceiling on those skis until 38 off.

It sounds like you are still struggling to run 28 off consistently. If that is the case a more forgiving ski might help you progress. It sounds like a trip south during the winter where you can demo some skis might be in order.