Wide handle? Narrow Handle?

Ryota

• Baller
Wide... was my choice always but I was asked once while getting coached why do you have such a wide handle and keep your hands so close together...theory was/is that with your hands as far as they can be it allows space between your arms to push your chest up through, narrow grip inhibits it more...most strength pulling/pushing movements are hands shoulder width apart...maybe we need even wider handles?

• Baller
I prefer a wide handle. I seem to miss the handle a lot less, amazing what that inch difference can make. I am probably one of the very few who also much prefer a .94 diameter. I find I can hold that in a different spot in my hands and I almost never have a tear on my hands anymore and can hold on much longer. Anything 1in and above I hold low in my palms and rip my hands constantly.

• Baller_

I skied for years with a 12” handle and went to a 13” for some of the reasons that @jayski listed (less separation of handle from body when you can push your chest through your arms).

I’ve had to use an old 12” handle twice this year, including last night, when my 13” needing restringing and again when I broke the head/arm guard on the 13”. I find I greatly prefer the 13” and really just can’t go back to the 12”. It’s very noticeable.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

I use a 13" (wide), but definitely a personal preference. I dock-started a record slalom tournament and noticed a WIDE variety of handles among the top skiers. There was little to no trend in the handles as each was very unique to the skier, almost all were different combinations of length / diameter.

• Baller

Do you have man hands or feminine hands?

jk. But it does depend on how wide your hands are. If I allow for a 1" gap between my hands, I have about 1" on either end before the end caps on a 12" handle. The extra 1/2" on each end makes a difference...

If you ski a 13 for awhile and then go back to a 12, it is a big difference. At least for me.

That is why I ski a 13 Ergo, as there is even some useable handle out past the normal end caps.

• Baller

I just switched from a 12” US Gear radius handle to a 12” Masterline curved handle. The radius feels much more like a traditional 13”. The difference between the two is most noticeable on the dock and when I’m out of the course. Once I’m rounding bouys I don’t seem to notice.

I have the custom carbon handle and once the arm protector is installed, the weight difference doesn’t seem all that noticeable either.

• Baller

I would venture a guess that "most" people will slightly prefer a 13" handle. However, I am 100% with @thager and I prefer the 12" for the same reasons.

The biggest thing I notice with a larger handle is that I'll get my two hands biased to one side rather easily, and the weird torque that results feels terrible to me.

• Baller

13" bent Masterline is my current favorite. But, also use a 12 inch straight Masterline. Like it about as much. It's a handle.

Good point about the safety of a 12. It won't fit over my head.

I could show a pic a very ugly arm I got about 15 years ago though. But I won't.

• Baller
Maybe I have a big head but the 13” Ergo would be hard pressed to get over my head. Different yoke not as long. Not impossible but would have to be just right or wrong, depending how you look at it.

• Baller_
Brenda ties 11" handles for me, after I put a slight bend in them. The shorter handle helps me keep my elbows pinned to the vest. It takes a little getting used to, but mis-grabs are rare when I'm paying attention. And if you have hem tied with pink rope, no one will take by mistake.

• Baller
Hey @bigskieridaho , which way is your handle bent? For my elbow problems I had a couple years ago, it would have been better for the handle to be bent like a moustache rather than a smile. Like how hands would be on swept back handle bars. Seems like most bent bars are the other way, and when I tried that, I did not like it. Fortunately, my elbows felt better after a season's rest, and some exercises, and I have not had trouble with my small diameter 13. I like your theory on the hips. I might try a 12 to see how that works for me.