Feet on Fire (literally)…. looking for advice on a barefoot burn

WiscoSkier

• Baller

Has anyone experienced burning a hole in their foot from barefooting?

I participated in a barefoot relay race and up until this event I had only heard rumors of this happening. Well let me tell you it is VERY possible! I am coming up on 55 days post injury with the remints of a very deep hole still in my foot. ( It started as a blister and turned into a crater). I was wondering if any ballers out there have experienced this injury and how long it has taken you or someone you know to recover from this injury. Are there any long term effects I should be worried about?

• Baller

I did it to my heel around 25 years ago barefooting and telling my buddy to whip me on a turn. I had to take a few weeks of work. I was a package car driver for UPS. Then made a pad for my heel with a cutout where the blister hole was so I could work. It was sore for a very long time. 25 years later and the spot is a hard callus that hurts once in a while. hqk43tb7w71l.jpg

• Baller
@foxriverat my guess is my foot will look like that eventually. The burn is also on my heal, luckily I don't need to walk much at work. I will never do a distance race again but would still enjoy front barefooting. did you have any issues footing after the injury?

• Baller

30 years or so ago a barefooter was trying to go about 85 mph with truly bare feet. It was noted in one of the water ski mags. He lost everything off one heal, to the bone.

I did 65 mph with bare feet. But, remembering what happened to that guy, when I began to feel the burn, I let go. No damage.

As crazy as 65 might sound, at that time Scott Pellaton had already clocked well over 130 mph, wearing booties. Insane.

• Baller
One of my friends in GA barefooted over a nasty dead catfish and got bones in his foot that caused a very bad infection, he nearly lost his foot. The catfish was just under the surface so neither he or the driver saw it. Crazy things happen with watersports.

• Baller
Mate of mine here in Australia was footing along one morning and crashed. Swam over to the boat saying "Damn, my foot hurts" Then we noticed the blood, and his little toe was gone! We think he hit a floating stick. Another mate sliced his foot open badly going backwards when his driver didn't see his back step off ski floating upside down in the morning sun and towed him over it. The fin cut his foot down to the bone. Lucky it was upside down, if it was right way up and he hit the tip, he probably would have lost his foot.

• Baller_
Buddy ended up with the dorsal fins of a fish stuck in his foot, fortunately no lasting damage. We have snapping turtles in our lake, never hit one footing but have on my ski at apex of turn and it tossed me ski over body.

• Baller
Tinactin took care of the fire for me, and the fungus too! Broken foot, four broken noses and numerous cuts later I gave up barefooting! Final straw was missing a 2x4 full of nails some S.O.B. threw in the lake by inches.

• Baller

I usually have to take 5-6 real short runs spaced out by a few days every spring until my feet aren't on fire anymore........

@swc5150 That would be called "tennishoein'" not "barefootin'"

But I totally get it! Older we get... less chances we take.

• Baller

235 days post incident my foot looks very similar to @foxriverat . I am hoping that it will not have to big of a affec on the season. Wisconsin lakes are starting to open up, hoping to test it soon. I have gotten a few suggestions to superglue over the scar to help with pain and reinjuring.

c0ivag2vwrbk.jpeg

• Baller

Back when, I participated in a barefooting duration contest, held on the Connecticut River in Massachusetts. I was a good solid footer. So, not far into my run, I encountered a small log. Which was slimy, and I slid over it. Later on, another log. Went into paranoid state, trying to straighten up and look ahead. Led to me falling, after maybe 2-3 minutes. So, on the way back, we started picking up debris and putting it in the boat. Was lots of stuff, and it took us a while. We all got back, and they figured that I had a hugely long run. Nope. I forget who was the eventual winner, but I did the river clearing for them.