Setup Numbers for RFF skier on 67" C-65 with LFF fin?

grab2go

• Baller

I would definitely not recommend a wrong-foot-forward CG Fin, although I must admit I'd follow your experience eagerly if you gave it a go!

In theory, a wrong foot CG fin should make it so that you can only tune up one side and the other one will be a mess.

You can go with a huge fin to force the off side to work even though the CG is acting like a smaller fin, and in that case your onside should be almost unturnable.

Or you can go with a small fin to make the onside work, but then the CG holes will make it seem tiny on your offside so you'll be loose and out of control.

• Baller

I guess my concern would be you're not really trying the ski.

But anyhow my favorite fin settings have been:

length 6.82" (edited; I remembered it wrong as 6.83 before)

depth 2.53"

dft 0.75"

9 deg S-wing

(I'll double-check these tonight, but reasonably sure.)

The first thing you need to figure out is binding position. I like a very forward position, 30.5" on a 66" ski, which would roughly translate to 31" on a 67". The c-65 can do amazing things, but it's grumpy if your weight is to the back, so depending on your skiing style you may have to go forward quite a bit to make sure you are staying "in front of" the kickpoint in the turns.

@Than_Bogan Thx. I am not shy about using the front of the ski. I'll start with 31". When I go to the lake, I'll take some shears, a coke can, and some gorilla tape...(maybe I can make the fin less asymmetrical!).

Have you put your spikes on yet?

Jeff Hartwig is one of my favorite athletes. He jumped 18-8.25 at the Olympic Trials in 2008. He was a couple of months shy of his 41st birthday!

• Baller

Sounds good.

That is some above-average pole vaulting :). I vaulted a little in the summer, clearing almost exactly half that in a "real meet." I'll resume a more regular schedule of vaulting in December (indoors, of course!). I think this is the most I've ever looked forward to the winter!

(Last year at this time I had no idea I was about to become a vaulter, so I didn't know to look forward to it. Plus I was demoing what became the CG fin so I desperately didn't want the season to end!)

My hopefully-semi-realistic goal is to clear 11' unofficially by the time the outdoor track season rolls around.

• Baller
Back on the ski: You may not need to go as dramatically forward with the boots as I did, if you tend to use the front of the ski anyhow. I tend to rock back a little at times, so I needed a little compensation. Once I got forward enough, the ski was stable and smooth. It was actually "OK" when I was much too far back as well, but it didn't reach its potential. It was only in between where it was really wacky, I think because the ski couldn't decide if I was trying to stay in front of the kickpoint or stay behind it!

• Baller
Might it not be better to put a regular fin in the ski until you can get your hands on a RFF cg fin? At least it won't be effectively "backwards". I'm curious as to whether a standard fin from another ski will even fit in the Denali fin block...