where to ski Palm springs area

vic

• Baller
Sunset ranch near Palm springs has ski lake need someone with boat who wants to ski in Jan thru Mar. 2019. A group of people would be great as they only rent the lake. I this does not work out any body got an idea where to get a tow to ski in this area.

• Baller

will its nice to see I have a couple of people interested. however no one with a boat yet. I was hoping someone located in the area would be willing to provide tow. I am willing to pay.

• Baller

@vic OK, I only have 2 running boats. Both have ZO. My lake is glass whenever I'm looking at it without a driver. PM me.

Skiing in the low desert in winter is a challenge. We do get some awesome weather - but it's warm for only an hour or two. In the heart of winter it's glass if there isn't a storm. If there's a storm, go snow skiing at Big Bear. Spring starts in March but the winter has less wind. It never rains but every weather disturbance anywhere turns into a windstorm in the desert. Honestly, San Diego winter skiing is more reliable but there will be hot air, warm water and glass in February at my lake. Guaranteed.

It sucks when I don't have a driver on those day(s!)

Eric

• Baller
Sounds like we can work this out Eric I will be in the Palm Springs area from early January to Late March. I ski in Canada until November Water Temperature as low as 45 and air around 35 so the cool days in your area are not going to bother me that's why I have wetsuit. Would you send me email address so we can arrange this. Mine is vicmacor@gmail.com.

• Baller
I will get in contact with eleeski in January when I am in the Palm Springs Area and see what skiing I can get. Found a place that rents a tow put it charges 250 for 2 hours {not by the set} so I would need 4 or 5 skiers to make it cost effective. I am not capable of skiing 5 sets in that time. I did ski last year at Cal. Great Lakes for 50 per set and the operator was very good. I will be going back to him again this year even if I find a good place closer to Palm Springs.

• Baller

We get 350 sunny days a year at the lake. After the heaviest fog I've ever seen there burned off (I couldn't see the end of the dock) and the sun started to peek out, I called @vic to catch a set. He's staying an hour and a half away but I figured we'd get sun for the rest of the day. Weather radar showed green over Mecca but we'd already had a couple cloudy days so I figured it was moving out.

Now my lake is a few miles in on a dirt road. The last mile is clay. When the clay gets wet, it gets slippery. And gooey. And messes your car up. And chews up the road. And you get stuck. If it rains hard, the road washes out and you really are stuck. The recent rains had softened up the road. I needed 4wd to get in but Vic had a Jeep so as long as it didn't get wetter, the road would work. The fog moisture didn't help but the sun would take care of the moisture from the fog. As long as it doesn't rain, we'd be OK.

It was warm enough for no sweatshirt. Until I went out to look for Vic around his arrival time. A cold breeze kicked up. It looked quite dark off to the northwest. Off in the distance, I saw Vic's headlights. Instead of dropping the boat in, I put on a sweatshirt. When Vic pulled up, he complained about having to drive the whole way in the rain. Almost to the dirt road! Looking back out the road, we saw a squall line following him in.

That changed everything. Hurry to close up the boathouse and hightail it out. No skiing, just survival. We were going to get stuck if the road got any wetter. The squall line moved over us. No rain, just zero zero fog. A couple sprinkles. Apologies to Vic for bad timing. And leave. I had to shuffle cars at my neighbor's (on the sandy part of the road) which took a while. Still no rain just sprinkles. Big cells on the radar all around though so I didn't call Vic for another try and drove home. Heavy fog and sprinkles all the way until Julian where it finally rained enough to wash the mud off the undercarriage.

Bummed to miss my ski ride but it was the right call. Apologies to Vic for my overly optimistic weather call. We'll try again in a couple weeks.

It never rains in Southern California.

Eric

• Baller

Will have skied many time with Erick over the last 3 months learned a lot and had a great time. Made a new friend and did a lot of great skiing in the sun. The winter weather here was not good worst in 8 years of coming to Salton sea Area. I hope circumstance and Erick will allow me to come back again next year.