New Ski Selection/Manufacturer Ski Size Charts

IGski

• Baller

Shopping for a new ski. Just started skiing the course a few years ago. 49 yrs old - I weigh 215-220lbs. Riding a 69" Connelly F1X. I call it the "Fat Guy" ski. :) My PB was this year -22/32. Ran that a few times last month. Obviously still working on a lot of technic. All my ski buds say I am ready for a new ski and that my current ski is way to big for me. (But they all weigh much less than 200lbs) How do you guys feel about the manufacturers weight charts? When I look at next level skis, (Carbon V/Senate Lithium/Syndicate Omni) I will be riding a 69" based on the manufacturers charts.

Or- do I jump up to top level skis? I know this will demand much better technic.....And Charts show a 68" length for me on those which I'm leaning towards....

My goal is to eventually run into -28/34 consistently and dream of -32/34.

Looking for a used ski so that makes it a bit more difficult to try and demo. I would like to go to a ski school to try some but that is out of the picture for me this year.

Thoughts?

• Baller
@IGski How tall are you? The 2019 Senate Pro would be an ideal ski for where you are at in your skiing (slightly more surface area than a Vapor adding forgiveness in the turns and made with all the high end materials for a light, quick feeling while skiing). You are on the upper end of weight for a 67" but it is possible for you to ski on it. You will find a 67 more work than a 69 from buoy to buoy but will also notice a smaller turning radius.

• Baller
So same question for me, I'm 55yrs old, 6'1", 200lbs and am running 32mph -15 consistently on a 2017 69" Senate Graphite. And can sometimes run 34mph. Would a 67" Senate be better for me or should I stay on the 69? And/or what weight should I get down to before switching to the 67" Senate?

• Baller

At 230 pounds I skied a 68” Vapor with no problems at 32/22 through 34/35. Down to 200 pounds I would probably stay on a 68. At 215 if mostly running 32 something like an Omni or Senate would work well. You could probably go 67 or 69 in either ski. If you are trending to 34 maybe the smaller ski.

I have skied 32/22 on my 66” Goode Mid at 200-220 pounds with good support.

Coming from the ski you are on the 69” Senate or Omni is going to feel smaller so that is likely the right way to go.

• Baller

@drew - Thanks but the D3 EVO price is out of my reach…

@Chris Rossi Senate Pro sounds like a fit but again price.

@Chef23 Thanks for input.

Only looking to spend 700-800. And slap my current bindings on it.

Just want to make sure the ski can continue to advance me for at least a couple more years and be consistent @ -28/32&34mph

• Baller

Bindings may be an issue, I had a connelly and its binding pattern was different I ended up screwing into it old school style.

Maybe yours is newer than mine. This is a great time of year in IL to make a trip down to The liquid edge in farmers city and Demo some skis/take a lesson just before the season ends.

Then watch for over winter deals and snatch up any of those three skis, if you start progressing sell the ski on ski it again and jump into the next tier.

Im in a similar situation as you, im 215 lbs 5'10"* , i just ordered the 2019 69" Senate Pro Build, w/ the Vector / HRT bindings. I'll let you know how it goes, going to have a few guys try it out who ski very high end products from Goode. If you decide on the 69" Senate Pro Build and have trouble finding one, i can PM you who im ordering from, they have stock right now, just want to remain impartial here.

The main sticking point for me was that... i have room to grow on this ski and it will serve me for years, before maybe i pony up to the vapor ;)

*i promise to stop advertising my sexy body eventually