Springsuit vs. Long Sleeve Wetsuit Jacket

skigirl00

• Members
Hi all! It’s finally off-season and for the fall, I am looking into getting either a springsuit or a long sleeve wetsuit jacket. What are everyone’s preferences? What should I get for cold temperatures ranging from 60 to 70°? What are some good brands? Hope everyone is swerving into off season!

• Baller
I second the camaro long sleeve shorty. Much better than a short sleeve shorty with no significant compromise in mobility. Camaro is very warm but a little fragile (not a big deal... just be careful). Dries out quickly. I'm sure other brands probably have good stuff too... but I have really liked the design of the long sleeve shorty.

• Baller
In the 65-70* range I generally just wear a long sleeve top. Below that I go with a full suit. I could definitely see a long sleeve shorty or the three quarter knee suit that Stokes makes being a good option. I would look at Camaro and Stokes for suits that are made with skiing in mind.

• Baller

+3 for Camaro. The Blacktec is the one you want. Super flexible and a little more durable than the Titanium. Just be careful not to pull it with your fingernails when putting it on and off.

Edit: The Stokes is worth a look. Horton said he really likes his Stokes 3/4.

• Baller
Living in the north, I have found that shortie's are not practical, If warm enough for a shortie then just wear a Hot Top. I find that every shortie I ever used, the legs fill with water when getting up. I go to a thin full suit as the water drops, I have a Camaro Blacktec 1.5mm full suit, works and skis great! Full suit and a Hot Top covers off my needs, plus a dry baggy suit for times when maybe we should not be in the water at all!

• Baller
I will add I have a 3/2 long suit made fur surfing by Xcel and it seals better and is warmer than my Camaro. It is slightly less flexible but still skis well. I have an O’Neill hybrid dry suit and don’t really like it I have a big neck and it isn’t that comfortable.

• Baller

I should have my Stokes long sleeve top by the end of the week. I wear neoprene shorts and a long sleeve 1.5mm top for awhile then yank the course. No longer a drysuit skier.

I must say Thomas Asher was super nice to deal with.

• Baller

Really like my Camaro 1.5mm heater top. Do not agree with the limited flexibility comment. I hardly know I have it on, except I'm warm.

Just picked up another 1.5mm top made by Xcel, called the Infinity. Xcel is very popular with surfers, who also want warmth and flexibility.

Won't be able to try it out for another 6 weeks or so.

• Baller
I am sure Camaro products are really great however I have not tried them.I have yrs of experience with Oneill products and recently bought a 1mm wetsuit zipper top that really works great.Bought it from swim outlet and it was on sale.Ihave always had good luck with their products..............

• Baller
My O'Neill Epic is a 2017. I sent my 20+ year old O'Neill 2ml drysuit and 3/4 leg spring suit to their repair facility in CA last fall to have the dry suit zipper replaced and both suits retaped. They both came back like new with some panels replaced as well for under $150. Great service imo.

• Baller
Can anyone tell me the real difference between Stokes and Camaro? I have a Camaro Blacktec top which I love. Crazy warm. Yes, they are a bit fragile but if you know that going in they are fine. I've heard that Stokes is more durable but not nearly as warm. My two cents - for those of you still using Oneill (neoprene) there are much better products on the market.

• Baller

Just a follow up on the Stokes Super Flex Top 2X.

The box arrived and when I opened it up and looked at the top, my first impressions were that it was really cool looking, great workmanship, but no freaking way was I going to squeeze into it. Thomas had assured me that it would work, so I figured, okay let's give this a try.

So I had my wife standing by with oxygen and ready to zip the back zipper, and low and behold, I got my 270 pounds packed in there and fully zipped and I could breath and move around in it. Wow, was I impressed. I have sent back other brand 3X tops that based on size charts should have worked but could barely get past my shoulders, let alone breath in them.

You can say I am 'stoked' to try it this weekend. Water is closing in on 60 but we should have 80 air temps.

Job well done @ThomasAsher