Mark Boender

MISkier

• Baller_

It is with great sadness that we have learned that Mark Boender passed away on Friday, September 28, 2018, after a battle with cancer. He was 52 years old.

I know that there were some posts here on Ball of Spray for various fundraiser events. Mark and his family were very grateful for the caring and compassion that the water ski community provided during those difficult times.

Mark was a three event skier, Nationals Slalom competitor, Midwest Regionals Trick and Jump podium finisher, Senior Driver, Senior Judge, MasterCraft promo driver, and a true water ski enthusiast. At one of his last tournaments in August of 2017, the new Nationals qualification rules had been recently enacted and Mark was elated to learn that he had qualified for the 2018 Nationals in Slalom. Unfortunately, Mark's illness presented shortly afterward and prevented his return to the competition.

In July of 2018, Mark was inducted into the Michigan Water Ski Association Hall of Fame.

But, most of all, Mark was a good man who lived as he believed - with caring and respect for everyone.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Definitely a huge loss to the community. Mark always had a smile on his face, and instantly made you feel like a friend.

He came out to TBS to ski with Jerry right after we received our first ProStar in 2014. He ask me how it drove, and I asked him if he wanted to drive it. He honestly had an ear to ear smile the entire time. He was like a kid on Christmas. It's honestly something I'll never forget. He really loved the sport and all of the people in it.

When we held that event for him in December, he was so thankful and so humbled. It really meant so much to him for everyone to come together on his behalf. But, it's guys like Mark that have built this sport, and it was just a fraction of the support he has given other people. So sorry to lose him.

• Baller_
@theboardingschool, his contribution to the sport was far more than in my brief original post. Many tournaments as a chief official, including collegiate tournaments. He was a Michigan Water Ski Association Board Member and Vice President with significant involvement in supporting and planning the tournament scene here. I am sure there is a very large population of skiers here that have great memories of Mark and/or were positively influenced by his involvement in the sport.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
All I can say is @Shell and I both missed Mark's positive presence and enthusiasm at tournaments this year and he will be missed for a long time. He always had a smile and a kind word. We need a lot more like him involved in the sport.

This post is as much therapeutic for me as it is informational for ballers out there who knew Mark Boender as well as for those who didn't have the privilege to knowing Mr. B.

I was blessed to know Mark for many years. He would often drive over to the east side of Michigan from the Grand Rapids area where he hailed from on Friday to practice with Mark Johnson, Brent Triplett, and me for our tournament the next day at Tivoli Gardens or Hidden Lake. After we practiced, we'd head back to my house for dinner and a pontoon ride around our chain of lakes. My wife Karen loved Mr. B dearly. She'd always had a baggie full of chocolate Tootsie Pops (he only wanted the chocolate TP's), some A&W Root Beer, and vanilla ice cream waiting for Mark when he walked in our house.

As soon as my two daughters knew Mark was going to be our overnight guest the arguing regarding whose room Mr. B was going to sleep in commenced. LOL! And, the arguing wasn't over being displaced by Mark and having to sleep in their sister's room. It was because Mark would always make the bed of whichever daughter's room he slept in and leave a $20 bill on the pillow. When Karen would tell Mark to stop leaving money he'd smile and laugh and make a comment that it would cost him way more to stay at a hotel.

When Karen and I became empty nesters because the girls went away to college the arguing between them ceased. What I'd give to her my daughter's argue again over whose room Mr. B was going to sleep in! Or, better yet, hind sight being 20/20, I would have gladly just given the other daughter whose room Mark didn't sleep in a $20 bill just to have my buddy as a guest again in our house.

Rest in peace Mr. B.

• Baller
Lots of kind words and touching tributes to Mark, which is not surprising. I didn’t know him well, but knew him to be a good man who was uplifting to all who’s path he crossed. RIP Mark ?

• Baller
I am really sorry that this outstanding man passed away at 52 yrs of age. It shouldn't happen ... but it does. Everyone above has paid massive tribute to Mark. I'm sorry. I didn't know him but as part of the Waterski Community, sounds like one hell of a guy. Same thing happened to my dad. RIP Mark. This took you too soon. We will ski on and remember you.