What's your elevation 5.7 Prostar 2015 or newer?

markchilcutt

We are slalom skiing on man made ski lakes in Utah. One lake is a bit short maybe 1800ft but has turn islands on both ends.

Looking for input from anyone running a 5.7 2015 or newer Prostar at higher elevation.

I skied a 2018 5.7 this summer at 3000ft in Montana and was so impressed! This boat even had the 4 blade prop which got me thinking it would be awesome with the 3 blade (high altitude) prop in Utah.

We are 4500-5000ft Above Sea Level.

I really don't need to worry about 36mph as my daughter and I are 34mph skiers.

We already know the prostar with the 6.2 is the answer here but those boats are hard to find used and will cost you.

Going to be making a purchase this winter/early spring and might give the 5.7 a try in order to save on the motor upgrade cost.

Just curious what your experience has been with these boats at higher elevations.

Thanks,Mark

• Administrators

@markchilcutt my guess is it would work fine. My question would be ”what boats have you skied behind with the 5.7 at your elevation?”

Obviously the ProStar has less drag than a 200. Total spitball guess is that the drag is similar-ish to the Malibu (?). A 196 or CarbonPro would be lighter and have less drag.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Obviously the older boats were awesome with the 5.7. My 06 LXI no problem. 196 no problem. Carbon Pro 6.0 no problem.

I was told that a 200 with the 5.7 and a 3 blade prop worked at 4500ft (longer set up lake) with a light skier at 36mph and he skis into -41 but probably weighs 150-160. His thoughts are that the 5.7 PS at the other lake I mainly ski which is a shorter set up at 5000ft would be questionable for 36mph.

I am confident we will have a great pull at 34 just trying to see if anyone has some real experience with it at elevation.

• Baller
Predator Bay ski Club in Calgary (about 4000 ft) has always run 6.2 Prostar's and they have been strong. This spring we had a 2018 Prostar with a 5.7 as a loaner, well a boat was being serviced. Everyone was surprised how strong it ran, no issues getting up to speed and a solid holeshot. I am 6'5" and close to 240 and it had zero issues getting me up and going! Not sure what prop was on it however.

Great news we tested our 2018 5.7 prostar on Saturday at about 4300ft 50 degree air 45 degree water!

We started with the high elevation 3 blade OJ 713 prop and the boat was so strong! amazing hole shot and up to speed very quick 34 and 36. I wanted to see how it would do with a skier at 36 unfortunately I had never skied 36 but managed to run a pass at -22. Couldn't tell you how the zero off was cycling but it did get all good times.

Switched to the 4 blade OJ 710 and figured it would lose a lot out of the hole but I was wrong. Boat was still very strong out of the hole and up to 20mph coming around the turn island. I did notice it took a few boat lengths longer to get up to speed but still locking in 3 to 4 boat lengths before the 55's.

It was a cold day in Utah with 50 degree air which played into our favor on horsepower. I know on hot summer days it wont run as strong but not worried at all knowing how well the high altitude 3 blade prop worked.

looking forward to testing again in the spring with the new ZO revision plus setting!

All in all very impressed moving from our 2014 6.2 to the 2018 5.7

• Baller
@markchilcutt check with @bennettsboatandski , they are selling a gorgeous 6.2 18 Prostar. 65k 300 hours. Steve is a great guy and easy to work with. We bought our 17 Prostar there. Great deal for a great boat. I skied behind that Prostar at Rosewater also. Plenty strong.

• Administrators

@DW I take my boat color design duties seriously. Bumblebee was a risk. McLaren or Renault colors are perhaps too risky.

Ferrari red and white on the other hand is even a little boring but I like.

Drop a dime in the can

@UWskier we will still have to test at the other lake which is 5000ft and the shorter set up. Regardless of that what I experienced on Saturday with the 3 blade high altitude prop told me I have no worries or concerns at 34 mph at the higher lake with shorter set up!!! Totally stoked with our new 5.7!

• Administrators

@Drago Buford Danger's favorite color is dark pink sparkle. If I could get MasterCraft to agree I would do that in a second. Unfortunately any boat I order has to sell to the public.

fcxbu1g6kcgk.jpg

Drop a dime in the can

Update. The 2018 5.7 Prostar at 4300 ft above sea level is killing it at 36mph pulling short line!

I bought a 3 blade (712-MF) from Eric at OJ. Its a modified 712 that helps lower RPM's and put my boat into the sweet spot for towing slalom at high altitude.

The ZO is surging as intended no problems and getting perfect times on all segments through -38 @ 36 mph skiers weight is about 180.

The hole shot is insane strong and the boat gets right up to speed long before the 55's.

The peak torque on this engine is found at 4200rpm's

Currently seeing 4100 rpm @34 and 4300 rpm @36. This was with one passenger in the boat.

This testing was done in cold water and cool air temp of around 55F.

I am sure we will lose a little performance as the air temp gets hotter this summer but not the least bit worried about it.

I was so hesitant and worried going from the 6.2 to the 5.7.

So so impressed with my new MasterCraft Prostar!