looking for a trick ski to buy

Gerome

• Baller
  • Baller

A new ski is not that much more money. They have been steadily improving so the new skis are really better. Quantum, D3 (I like the Aria but the Custom X is also fantastic) and Radar (the newest version rocks - avoid the older ones) will improve your skiing. New trick skis haven't seen the ridiculous prices that some new slaloms command. So you can probably afford the latest and greatest that will help you learn faster.

A hardshell boot also makes a difference in performance. And comfort (which matters if you are taking the long sets needed to really improve).

Spend a bit of money to really enjoy tricking.

Eric

• Baller

Be careful of those off brand skis!

Seriously, many of the older skis aren't nearly as good as a new Quantum, D3 hardedge or new Radar. Old rubber edges are likely to have softened enough to really change a once great ski. Goodmans, Reflex, the Radar Graviton of a couple years ago and possibly my skis are wonderful skis but have some quirks that will limit your progress.

If you must buy used, old D3 hardedge skis are fairly common and hold up well. Old Quantums are rare used and not as good as the new ones but still acceptable. If you can find one, an old Goode trick is a decent ski. All the older skis seemed better in bigger sizes.

KD and Jobe skis mentioned earlier might be awesome but I haven't demoed either. Time will tell for these.

Eric

hello all,

I have the opportunity to buy for a good deal either a D3 HC LTD (rubber edges, from 2018) or a RADAR Gravition Arancio (hard edges from 2016), both new, the RADAR one being 2 years old (previous model)...

which would you recommand ?

which one is the best and easiest to ride and progress with ?

thanks in advance for yours answers !

Gerome

• Baller

The D3 rubber edge ski will age and change over time. Seasonal edge sharpening will bring it back. So maybe not as good as a hardedge D3 but it's a good ski and easy to recommend.

The old Radar is tough on beginning skiers. It's sensitive to edge catches which slows the learning curve. The current model is much better so there's some upgrading going on. If you are serious about tricking, get the new Radar. If you just want to have a trick ski in the boat, the old one will be cheap.

There are tons of college Gravitons as well as Radar is very supportive of collegiate skiing. But if you are in college, the new Radar is worth the difference.

Lots of D3s and Quantums at Nationals. Fewer Gravitons (and the ski has some advantages for advanced skiers). Tells me something.

This is my personal taste recommendation and I have ridden all the skis. But I don't ski a factory ski so your results might be different.

Eric