I AM A LUCKY AND BLESSED MAN

bananaron

• Baller
I consider myself very lucky to be able to ski with the intensity that I do and the number of times that I ski and barefoot.I have been skiing close to 60yrs and footin probably 55yrs.I live on a fantastic ski lake in northern MN. that is narrow and somewhat wind protected.Even in the summer I have the lake to myself early mornings and late night and now in the fall I am pretty much alone.I have a beautiful home with a boathouse close to the waters edge loaded with ski and barefoot gear.I have a beautiful wife who is a great boat driver and will pull me anytime.And a dog who loves to ride in the boat when I ski or foot. Also I have had the pleasure of having 7 different boats to test and ski over the past 2 seasons.However probably the reason I am really blessed is the fact of having really good health at 70yrs and being able physically to take part in the sport I love so much.I have had 3 knee surgeries and 1 shoulder worked on and still going however the parts are getting older.I have been able to teach many many people to ski and foot over the yrs and currently my neighbors who live in Hong Kong are now my morning ski partners in the summertime.I was able to pass the handle to the 2 young kids who are really good slalom skiers and dad is also becoming a strong skier.They will carry on the tradition of skiing on our lake and I hope yrs down the road will pass the handle and talk about how they learned and enjoyed the sport.I am lucky and blessed to have so many things that allow me to enjoy the sport.I thank the good Lord each day for all that I have and treasure my family and good health.I am a LUCKY AND BLESSED MAN...............

• Baller
Love that post. I feel the same way. I had dreamed of buying land, building a ski lake south of Atlanta, and building a house. The math comes to a million +. Then I found a house 20 min from my then ‘current’ home on a ski lake with an old un-used slalom course. I bought it for $300k, remodeled, added new course and I’m still pinching myself. How Blessed I am at 62 to continue this love affair. Praise God.

• Baller

My story is similar. I have been skiing 61 years. I am on a public lake in Alaska and go early and usually have most and sometimes all of the lake to myself.

Home and boat lifts are on an island. I keep Three tournament boats there but primarily use a Carbon Pro with the 6.0. My wife is my driver. She is 71 and skis as well. I am 73.

I stay active year around so I am always ready to ski in the spring. I believe skiing is fine full body strength training for seniors. At least it works for my wife and I.

We use Camaro wetsuits which have extended our season here in the North. I started in mid May this year with water at 42 and air at 46 early in the morning; beautiful sunny day with smooth water everywhere. It was joyful to be back on the water. I will stop sometime in October as we are having a warm fall.

I normally ski on a Goode Rev 6. However I took one ride recently on a 57 year old Majerajah, with nice inlaid wood, that hangs on the cabin wall. It was my fathers; he died less than a month ago at age 100 after only 4 days in assisted living. He had been living independently and driving. He rented skis a rope etc. in the 50,s and got himself and our family into skiing on a vacation creating fine family experiences for all of us.

I take extended long free ski rides as I like the conditioning aspect. At 34.2 mph, 55 km, a complete run up and back around on our lake to the island takes a bit over 30 minutes. I normally do this at 32 off and consider it some of the finest strength training I do all year. The whole body knows it had a workout by the end.

I will transition to Nordic skiing for the winter. I love both varieties of skiing and having to stop due to seasonal changes keeps both types of skiing fresh seasonally and the enthusiasm high. My wife and I hope to continue for quite a few years. We would encourage people to keep skiing as they mature.

• Baller
Thanks for all of the comments.I think all of us have many things to be thankful for and are lucky to have the lives we have.For sure we are lucky to have BOS a fantastic water ski website full of good info and great people.Kudos to @Horton for starting and keeping this going.@Stevie Boy I am just an ordinary guy that loves skiing and really BANANAGEORGE is the legend and great ambassador of footin.A family on the lake started calling me my name and it just stayed with me.@MS Yes it is soon time to get the skates as I am an old hockey player and was playing up to a few yrs ago till my multiple knee surgeries.@Cent fantastic story about you and the wife.Keep it going and I would love to come and ski with you folks.And you have 3 boats and these guys give me a hard time for having too many boats!!Thanks to all.....hope everyone is still skiing.I have to start taking the boats out as the weather is changing however more importantly I need to have minor surgery.Something that old guys get......

• Baller

Bananaron thanks for the comments. Like you I simply enjoy skiing, teaching skiing and sharing skiing. Starting ack in the 80s I brought tournament ski boats to Alaska, and sold about 70 overtime with no profit motive. I brought up skiscwet suits etc. as they just were not readily available. I like to think I helped a lot of people. I had wetsuits for four year olds and 280 pounders. All for fun.

I brought professional skiers to Alaska to run clinics. I did not pay them but they got time on an Alaskan island. . People like the world overall champion and Pro Tour Skers etc. Names all skiers new. I got owners of ski companies to come here or sponser gifts for juniors for clinics. Did it all for fun out of my cabin on weekends except the clinics when I took a week off work

. I spoke a 12 University graduations as a trustee and at everyone of them a student, parent of a student, or grandparent came up to tell me I taught the student, or parents child , or grandchild to ski. I enjoyed that as it was all about summers and family for me.

Enjoyed your post immensely. There are many aspects to this sport of which tournames are but one. Your post hit home with me.

Nice for you and for me that we are still out there. Again thanks.

• Baller
I'm fortunate to be a member of this elite group! My resume is very similar to bananaron and Cent having started water skiing as a youngster and now still skiing recreationally and competitively in my 70's. My home base is in Indiana on Sweetwater Lake for recreation and Brewski Lake in Indianapolis for more serious swerving. I'd be interested in meeting somewhere next summer to swap stories and swerve together! Maybe we could talk Horton and this terrific web site into hosting!?

• Baller

Skied today as did my wife here in Alaska.

We plan to go tomorrow,October 1, which will be a first for us. Using Camaro Black Tec wetsuits we got a couple weeks ago which have worked well. Will try to attach post ride photo.

• Baller
@Cent Its fantastic that you folks are still skiing.Keep it up.I had to pull my boat the other day for many reasons and this is early for me as I always ski into october.Where in Alaska are you folks located?? Lets ski next summer and have a ski marathon for us young folks....

• Baller

Hannah and I are near Anchorage, Alaska. Left the boat in the water. May go one more week. We shall see. umgez1ss076u.jpeg

ndstbusyi6be.jpeg

Photos are of an Arctic Tern that landed on the Bimini top this summer. Rather uniquely Alaska.

You know my profile name is ChasingOldDreams, but i'm far younger than many of you and just starting the dream. I made substantial life changes and concessions in my career to live on a lake and have the flexibility to work from home. The "old dreams" stems from a growing up in a family that has this sport in it's blood, relatives who started companies of many of the boats that tow you everyday, too young to appreciate what i had in front of me, and then eventually got away from the water as i "grew up". But as i sit on an airplane now, and more often than not I'm on one 2-3 times a week, i remember ultimately why i made the decision, which is to answer one question "where would i rather be flying back to?" I hope to live this dream you guys speak about above through out the rest of my life. Being on the water, challenging my self, is the core of who i am. Have even met one of you because of this forum!

Very cool stories to read through, giving us younger guys something to shoot for.

• Baller
@lhoover You are a lucky guy.You have a beautiful home and a lake to ski that is fantastic and a fabulous wife that takes care of an old guy like you.And yes you make great drinks and we are coming done to visit and ski.Keep the light on!!!

• Baller

Catching up on this post here in Alaska which should qualifc as North. Maybe Fzr North. Also quote West. Essentially parts of Alaska about as far west as Hawaii.

Interesting fact the Western most part of the US is in Alaska. More surprising the Easyern most part of the US is also in Alaska as the part of Alaska known as the Aleutian Chaon crosses the international dateline and becomes East.

Have been skiing 61 years on a slalom.

Pulled the boat today as temperatures have dropped; especially the water. Down to 49 or 50 degrees from 59 not long ago. Fresh snow seen in the mountains viewed from the lake. However temperature has not yet gotten to freezing. High air temperature today in the 50s.

Managed to ski every week from May into the first week of October. Six different months. For Alaska that takes a really warm fall which we have had and are having. One year I can recall Nordic skiing in town on October 8. Not this year.

Overall a fun year.

• Baller

Anugq573v5lwf.jpeg

8rwbcu8mdx34.jpeg

little more Alaska.

These were taken from my dock around after 11 pm. Just before midnight in June. As I said we qualify as North.

I took Joe Mc Clintock sking here at midnight, after he was Workd Oberall Champion, and got pictures from the boat so Midnigjt with a standard camera.

• Baller

Blakeyates thanks. Joel Mc Clintock had a fine trip. Ran the last ski clinic at our lake and flew back with a student toward Anchorage in a Cessna float plane.

They stopped to fish a river for two hours on the way to the international airport and Joe caught a 40 pound King Salmon. Then flew to the lake next to the international airport and Joel, his ski, and his Salmon flew home to Canada.

• Baller

Skied today in Indiana. We've had cold nights in the low 30's for the past week so I see the heat rising out of the lake each morning. We had a beautiful sunny day today and put the boat in and enjoyed the glassy water! I found it hard to believe that the water was still warm.od8shoqk4qgr.jpg