Where does the skier cross center line?

ktm300

• Baller
Understanding that each line length may yield a different crossing point, where does the skier cross the center line relative to the 135' between boat guides. For example, how many feet down course of the one ball boat guides does the skier cross the center line headed to two ball? Maybe assume that the skier is at 35off. Is it more or less than 89' ?

• Baller
Thanks @Andre. Was planning to watch it; just did. Question answered. Just trying to think some about my gates and starting the rhythm into the course. Is the center line at the gates close to the distance of the center line for the crossings as we move down course. From that video, yep, looks like it.

• Baller

Actually that video is quite intuitive, it really shows the direction the ski takes after the center line and how important it is to have good angle off the bouy.

It actually demonstrates to me that it's what you do before and into the center line that counts the most, after that the skier is just along for the ride out to the bouy.

When people talk about the Pendulum and skiing through the course it makes me think of a pure sine wave pattern, but when I watch that video it looks more like a modified sine wave pattern, should we be visualising something different, to the pendulum.

• Baller
If that is right @scotchipman, you have 22 extra feet into one ball than into any other buoy. The flow point overhead looks like the crossing is more up course than the half way point between guides after one ball; by quite a bit to my eyes. However, to your point, I personally feel like there is more space into one and I don't think it is helping me. Had a very good skier tell me that before my turn in, I should go down course till I start to panic and then go so more. Left hand gate ball. Been coached the opposite too. About 89' from gate to one ball boat guides. I'm trying to choose my own gate instead of emulating somebody else's.

• Baller

Somewhat related: I watched a lot of the last Big Dawg Final. I think we can take many of the "you have to do _____" statements and flush em. Wow is this an individual sport. So much variation. For example, I have liked the one handed gate from the first time I tried it. Had coaches strongly advise me to use two hands so, in deference, I skied a two handed gate. Just went back to my one hander this year; where have ye been old friend.

• Baller
If I remembet correctly, in the Andy Mapple video, he talked about having extra boat lane bouys and working on crossing the centre line before those bouys, I will have to dig it out and may be post a clip, I think it proves that you have to develop and maintain angle to the centre line to get good direction outbound, outbound direction is always a good thing but not if you do not create enough angle in the first place, that being said Steve Schnitzer used to promote co-ordinate skiing where I should imagine you cross the centre line later and with less angle, his view was that you only needed a boats length before the bouy for the ski to swing out and back in.again.