Cold weather Boat heater with temp sensor (mooring/lift heater to protect engine block)

jercrane

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Engine-Compartment-Heater-Silver/dp/B00MEMRGZE/ref=sr_1_1

I'd like to extend the season in NH as far into November this year as possible. I know I can just throw a light under the cover but I'd prefer something a little more efficient that turns on when the temp drops below a certain threshold. Also something a little safer than just a light bulb with over heat protection etc.

I have one sitting in my garage. I was very nervous about it kicking on at the right temp. I tested it and it always worked, but I was always nervous. I left it in my boat for a winter with a wireless thermometer that was tied to a display in my bedroom (I wake up worrying about stupid little things). My boat was in a tarp carport deal (full sides but just canvas/tarp, no insulation) and we were down into the low 20's a bit, the engine compartment never got below about 38*. My heater core is under my bow, I put a second Golden Rod heating deal up there. All in all, I think it worked well, but I worry about things. I also didn't have a great place to mount it, I placed it on top of my engine and then had to prop the cover open a few inches, not ideal.

It worked but I was always nervous. I wound up replacing all of my drain plugs (block, exhaust manifold, water pump elbow, etc.) with 1/4 turn valves. I still use heaters to fight moisture and for extra piece of mind. But, in the winter when I lift the boat I open the valves (takes 30 seconds) and let them drain while I wipe the boat down, then close them back up. Don't forget to close them, you would be surprised how much water your water pump can push... I also blow out the heater core by pulling one hose and blowing the water through and out one of my valves.

Yeah I mean I'm not looking for something to go all winter. I'll winterize the boat eventually and properly store it in a climate controlled warehouse with my local marina. My goal here is just to keep skiing and avoid an oops with a big cold spell. Ideally would like to make it to mid November then pull and winterize. It can get chilly at night in early November in NH.

• Baller
I bought a magnetic block heater at Autozone for $20. I attach it on the bottom of the oil pan. If forecast is to be below 32F I plug it in at the house in the evening and remove it when forecast to be above 32F. I ski until mid November in Minnesota. Has worked for last 20 years.

• Baller
Another consideration would be a potential power failure such as an ice storm. Then without power the heater wouldn't operate. I'm of the opinion that you should always drain, even if only for a day or son. I have several friends who bought new engines because of frozen blocks. This was when I lived in GA, so you never can be completely sure.