getting off my back foot

h2onhk

• Baller

Finally got back in the course the last 2 days after an almost 8-week hiatus. Usually I'm a solid 15-32 off guy with an occasional shot at 35. Could not for the life of me get off my back foot. 28 was a struggle. Then started over-thinking everything with technique. If there was one thing to focus on to help get my mass centered over the ski what would that be?

RFF, D3 X-5 pro with factory setup

• Baller

@h2o.nhk Try just concentrating on taking and keeping the Handle horizontal through the back of the boat, this will help keep your arms straight and remain a little open to the boat, My thoughts are if you close your shoulders off to the boat or pull on your arms you are going to end up on the back of the ski.

@Gloersen I have coached skiers who have been told elbows on the vest, what a nightmare to unravel, all that does is create a bend in the arms, now if you are talking about getting your biceps on the vest that is a good thing, subtle difference with far better results.

• Baller
The comments @horton made about straightening the back knee have worked better for me than anything. Where as I had thought straightening the knee would push my back foot down and out weight it more makes the back leg konger oushing my back hip forwards and getting my hips over the ski. Sort of another way to square the hips but easier to think. You know its gone right when the back leg doesnt quivver walking back off the dock.

• Baller

@MS never been a double boot guy. Always run a RTP. Using a T-Factor front binding and it keeps the ball of my foot firmly against the ski though I've never really "felt" for the ski.

@BraceMaker the back leg theory went through my mind a couple times yesterday but I could never put it all together

• Baller

Had a similar experience this summer. Skied every day on vacation and was running 28 off about 75% of the time. Got home from vacation and didn’t ski for 1.5 weeks. When I finally got back out I couldn’t get past 2 ball at 22 off. Same problem, too back foot heavy.

Stayed at an easier pass and skied it a bunch without over thinking it. I’m LFF and focus on keeping the handle close, standing tall through the course and “feeling” my front foot pressure especially in offside preturn. Being tall (chest up) is important to keep me from breaking at waist.

So I’d suggest don’t overthink and ski an easier pass a few times focusing on your keys

• Baller

@"h2o.nhk" I have always felt that way about the ball of foot technique. I'd try hard to keep that loaded but you can load the ball of your foot by plantarflexing your ankle, bending your back knee and yanking and you hit the wake and your tip will bounce up and your back leg will be screaming, or you can flex your front ankle and front knee and move your weight up onto the ball of the foot and to get there.

And what makes you do the second one most effectively "seems" to be straightening the back leg, because it is really hard to get ball of foot pressure and have your back knee bent.

And if you for instance use a hardshell and pin the cuff and you do the first one thinking it will hold you forwards you will be in for some great OTF crashing.