Suggestions for aftermarket wide mirror?

jdk99

• Baller

You know, I'm probably an odd ball. I've always had just stock OEM mirrors, and never looked back very much. A guy who skis at our lake got a PTM and the first time I drove his boat just by peripheral notice my full attention was drawn to the mirror.

Here's where I'm kinda odd. The only time I use the mirror is when I'm tightening the line prior to pull the skier up and when I feel the skier fall or miss. I totally concentrate on keeping the boat where it's supposed to be. Now that may be due to not being as good a driver as some who can look back frequently and still keep a good line.

• Baller
@BraceMaker in open water you need to be watching forward. We use the mirror for starts, but otherwise looking where we are going. Spotter can watch skier, or when no spotter it is pretty apparent when you lose them. I tell my wife that she is in charge of not running the boat into anything, I'll take care of me.

• Baller

@oldjeep obviously, but you also should have a good idea about your skier at all time. Ever gone to spin on public water only to turn the boat and find someone came up behind your skier? Or with our one boat that the mirror is behind the middle seat you need to know when the skier gets back to the wakes to set up the next shore line.

You need to see both.

• Baller

Has anybody compared the ptm edge 140 vs cipa extreme?

I bought a cipa vision 180 and don’t use it because the skier is smaller in it and I like to see the detail on 60ft and 75ft ropes we usually ski multiple kids at once on. I much prefer the cipa extreme all round than the cipa vision 180 for that reason

It the PTM 140 image as large as the Extreme? Has anybody got direct experience with both?

• Baller
Im a little surprised that nobody has come out with a mirror setup that is a camera and screen rather than an actual mirror. So that you could zoom to your desired field of vision. For what some of these afyer market mirrors cost it woukd certainly be doable.

• Baller
@GregHind I have a Cipa Extreme which I’ve used for almost 15 years and also ski with others with the PTM 140. The Cipa is “serviceable”, ie you can set it up to see the entire width of the skier path but it is not necessarily a continuous side to side view. The PTM is clearly superior but you pay a premium for that improvement.

• Baller

I picked up a used like new 140 on eBay. Didn’t like the fact it was way above the window line so bought the EX400 extension that allows for it to get down to normal height.

That’s the only negative that I see about the 140 Pro. Also bought a sock to cover while towing. Nice upgrade to the stock mirror.