Wakeboarding to water skiing

radarboy32

• Baller
So my friend's family has a boat and he pretty much only wakeboards and kneeboards. He's pretty good, but doesn't do any tricks or anything. The boat is a hybrid ski/wake boat so there is a good wake for both. However, he wants to try skiing and I only have a 65'' TRA. He's never tried skiing, but is quite good at getting up on the wakeboard. My friend is very small - 5'0, 65 lbs maybe? Do you think it will be easy for him to get up on the ski? Anything I can do to help him? We are starting on open water.

• Baller

When converting riders to skiers I try to have them emulate a wakeboard start as much as possible. So I will have them keep their knees really bent and exaggerate how much they point the ski to the side. So for a right food forward skier, really have them point the tip right towards the shore instead of the boat, and have them stay squatted long, no pressure on the arms. Make it seem like something they know, instead of something completely new.

In general I have really good luck. Just have them go easy once they are up. If someone knows how to edge on a wakeboard and tries to do the same on a ski, they’ll get smoked. Start with super easy wake crossings or even just holding a lean on the side of the boat.

Good luck!