Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Edge vs HO Syndicate vs Reflex bindings?

C5Quest

• Baller

Been on Reflex Supershell 2.0 for about a year. At the point I want/need to do a few mods I’ve seen on this forum (heat and flatten toe, pin cuff forward, etc). Not sure what cutting the top of cuff will do? I feel I move around a lot on the reflex so pinning cuff forward is going to be first move to get me over the ski more.

Anyway, how does the reflex compare to the Edge or HO system. The later seem to have a flat bottom so no need to mod. Issues with flexibility, mobility, response? Most likely stick with my reflex but not opposed to trying something new in the future. What’s the difference with the Edge and HO besides the liner? Experience or thoughts appreciated.

• Administrators

@C5Quest it sounds like you have got the bug and you really want to tweak on your boots. Chances are it will be a learning experience and if you don't mind ruining some equipment it will be fun.

I would predict there is a 90% chance you will not actually improve your skiing. I would especially discourage these modifications if you don't run at least into mid 38 Off.

I'm sure I'm going to get a pile of dislikes for the above comments. That's fine.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I can’t say one is better. I have them both and I feel that it’s easier for me to get my weight forward, on the ball of my front foot with the Reflex, but I really can’t say why. I’m absolutely positive that others here have had the exact opposite experience. I love the feel of the Edge/HO, but the Supershell seems to fit my foot the best. That right there may be the actual reason it works better for me.

6 one way, half a dozen coming back tailwind. Personal preference is my answer.

I’m more consistent with my boot pinned forward, than I am with it free floating. Exact same boot, in the exact same release. I’m only a midway down -32 skier but it helps me. Maybe it’s a band-aid. If you experiment with forward boot angle, I’ll tell you to go with very little at first. I had some horrific pre-releases in my angle testing phase. Too much isn’t something that you can feel on land but it tells you as soon as you try to get up. Listen to it.

• Baller

Supershell is flatter than any other shell except for Goode powershell that is practically flat and don’t need any further flattening. The black reflex shell is the easiest to modify and it has been modified by many including myself with various degrees of success.

Goode powershells can also bought with a mechanical release licensed by reflex like the Edge system.

• Baller

To be clear I wouldn’t try to flatten an edge/HO. Was asking the question. I thought i looked at pics and it seemed the bottom of the boot was already significantly flat. On that note I’m going to experiment with the reflex as much as I can. So those with the reflex boot that have done the heat flatten toe mod......if you flatten out the toe does it effect now the toe sits under the bar? Does it now create space or movement requiring a bunch of wrap around the bar to make it snug again?

Sorry for so many questions but 2 more. What’s a good starting point for pinning the cuff forward? Though I saw a thread and it suggested about 20 deg? Also I’ve never had a clear answer on why cutting off the top of the cuff helps? Boots are cheap enough to hack up and experiment with so pro just go that route

• Baller

Couldn’t tell you about flattening the toe. Flattening the arch so the boot sits flat on the plate was something Adam Caldwell discussed at length in another thread. However, heating and reshaping the Supershell is a chore. The black boots were pretty easy. Actually he discussed most everything we’re talking about here, pretty in-depth

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/19021/the-optimal-slalom-boot