1st day on my Reflex hardshell: Question...

Buoyhead69

• Baller
I’m tired of replacing Radar Vapor boots that rip in the back, so I figure let's give a hardshell a try. Reflex 3.0 with G10 short plate. Miami Nautique set it up for me prior to shipping. It felt very strange, very stiff laterally compared to my Vapor which I expected & actually liked. But, I felt pigeon toed (I’m LFF, I use a RTP). Surprisingly I ran the same number of buoys (ran smooth -28 at 34.2 passes) despite it feeling strange- didn’t have time to get into -32 today and frankly didn’t want to because it felt strange. I felt very pigeon-toed and the ski wanted to turn to the right on me. I looked at the mounting plate and it doesn’t seem to give me the ability to rotate this externally/to the left. Anyone else have a similar experience when getting used to the Reflex? Can the binding mechanism be rotated externally/leftward on the plate? Good news is I actually skied fairly well, so just get used to it? Called Miami Nautique, they’re closed so I’m trying to get some feedback on this.

• Baller

I remember a video of Andy Mapple talking about Reflex. He mentioned starting out with it rotated , & straightening it up as you get used to it.

If I changed to something different that "ran the same number of buoys (ran smooth -28 at 34.2 passes) despite it feeling strange", I would continue & adapt to the new feel.

• Baller

Totally normal that Reflex feel a bit weird on first try.

My first set went like first pass,this is so weird,second pass weird...but feel better,third pass this could be good,fourth pass let's go for it... finish my set with same score as usual.

Give it some time.You'll like it very much soon!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Administrators
@Buoyhead69 your new binding is very different from your old binding. You will need at least 5 sets to adjust. Try not to think about it and go ski.

• Baller

I'm on an older version of the Super Shell, I'm not sure how you would rotate the boot without drilling some new holes in the plate.

My first set on my Reflex (coming from Goode hardshell) resulted in failing to get up a few times and 6 passes to run my opener. Similar results for ski partner who switched. The good news is that after a few sets it came together and I couldn't be happier today.

• Baller
I just went from Vapors to Reflex myself. Are you sure you got the correct size boot? Did you heat mold the liner? I struggled with mine as well but for different reasons. Double Vapors to Reflex 3.0 and R Series rear. I needed 5 tries to get up the first time. Turned out I was wearing the straps on the rear too loose which solved that. To get the same turn on both sides that I had on the Vapors (both straight on the plate), I had to rotate the rear. Now I love it. I've also released a couple of times and it was everything I hoped in that regard (one was a buoy hit). Not sure rotating the front boot is a good idea, I'd start by making sure the sizing and fit is correct.

• Baller
Took me a week or so to get used to the Supershell even coming of a Reflex white cuff. I like the Supershell for comfort though because the biggest old style reflex boot was still a little short. I put a molded insole the boot liner on the Supershell which help the fit for me. I'm using a Intuition Aqua liner.

• Baller

I haven’t read anything that I would say is incorrect, as far as my experience goes. A couple things though, you mentioned Andy talking about rotation of the front boot (“Cant”). The setup he was referring to was the original black cuff, and black boot/white cuff style that had two adjustment screws to move your heel left or right. The Supershells do not have any of that type of adjustment.

Due to the stiffness, I guess, you are feeling much more locked down, therefore pigeon-toed. The first thing I would try is a few degree cant to your RTP, clockwise. I had to do that because of the pressure on my rear knee, but you may be feeling the same thing, but in a different place.

• Baller
Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. It helps to confirm everything I experienced including my deep water starts feeling weird, & a gorgeous face plant into the gate on pass number 4. But again, I actually ran some nice passes at -28 (maybe I’ll stay there for another day? Get more comfortable before going to -32?) Not sure 100% if the size is correct but the Miami Nautique guy spent a lot of time with me on the phone so he hopefully got me dialed in. I’ll call Danny later today... Also, I did not heat mold the liners. My experience with heat molding my vapors was somewhat unimpressive so I just mounted it & skied. I suppose I could put the liner in oven later... not sure if it would matter too much. Thanks again everyone.

• Baller

@Buoyhead69 Heat molding the liner per Reflex instructions will not only improve the fit against your foot but also how the liner fits against the shell wich imho is equally important.

Makes for a better connection with less shearing between shell and liner.

• Baller

If you were able to run some passes the first day just be patient. When I switched from a Radar to a Reflex I almost missed my first start and it took me a set to run my opener. The boot is very different.

Definitely make sure it is set up right and heat mold the liner but give it 4-6 sets before worrying about it. It sounds to me like you will be fine.

• Baller

I didn't get through that 5-6 set period the last time I tried a HS but the main reason was my back toe crashing into the release arms. How do you RTP guys handle this?

I do recall the ski feeling sideways on starts but the main performance difference is I couldn't get a release out to 2/4 and drew narrow consistently, drove me nuts. Probably should have corrected the technique problem but instead I switched back to rubber. If I can figure out the RTP-toe-crashing part I'll give it another crack. It's fall, afterall.

• Baller

the 750 release arms are very bent and if you run bindings close together your toe will hit the release bar. hence the new 850 release with straighter arms so the toe does not hit the release bar. that's why you see a lot of skiers still using 404 or 400 all metal heel release mech.

check the alignment of the boot mold line and the center of the plate, some skier will wrap duck tape on one side of the toe bar to get the boot centered on the plate! the older blk cuff and white cuff boots are more centered on the plate.

• Baller

@jhughes I had more of an issue kicking the back of the hardshell with my rear foot after I got up (I am obviously a kicker).

I had an issue coming up narrow on my onside (1, 3, 5 I am LFF). For me the key was handle control. For some reason on my onside if I didn't focus on handle control coming off the wake into my offside I would come up short. It is probably because my pull isn't as strong and I don't have as much speed. I don't have the same issue with my Vapor boot but maybe the less stiff boot makes it less sensitive.

I really liked the way the boot performed on my offside. I went back to Radar when I was struggling with a new ski but it turned out the boot wasn't the problem.

• Baller
Thanks so much everyone. Day 2 so still doesn’t exactly feel 100% comfortable but I like the stiff lateral feel. Solid set today in windy conditions. Had a nice -28 in a tailwind. I already feel improved control & edge change. May be my imagination but I think the lateral stiffness helps me get a little earlier edge change.