Shoulder Sphere unboxing

Horton

• Baller_
I've had shoulder issues for years and talked to the good Dr at Nationals as well and tried it out. I could tell immediately it was working the muscles that don't normally get exercised. I've been using it twice a day and it has made a significant improvement in reducing my shoulder pain. Definitely a unique and better way to strengthen the shoulder.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Those reading this thread may be interested to a related/complimentary thread I just started. (https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/20415/something-that-may-be-of-interest-for-those-with-rotator-cuff-injuries) I was going to post that information here but then I thought maybe it would be better to post it in its own thread and keep this one to discussion about the shoulder sphere itself. It looks like it's a well thought out machine and a good way to isolate and work those rotator cuff muscles that give us old guys so much grief.

• Baller
I have been reasonably consistent with my shoulder sphere on the right side since 2017 Nationals. I fully dislocated it in 2016, doing some cuff and labrum damage. After multiple opinions, I opted to rehab conservatively with PT only. Adding this device has definitely helped! My PT has me doing some band work too, but the shoulder sphere is extremely effective. Skiing as well now as I ever have.

• Baller_

I use the larger one. I think the small one is for non athletic people or the severely chronologically gifted folks. Anyone strong enough to ski shortline would want the large sphere

Btw my shoulder issues are completely gone. I still use the sphere a few times a week to maintain strength.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Bump…I had a nagging on & off right shoulder rotator cuff injury for the past year; 66 yrs old; MRI showed no tears. Had PT for 3 months at the end of 2020, felt great, but now the discomfort is back. No sharp pains, but can tell it’s not right.

Normally ski one set 3 to 4 times a week. Just started running back-to-back 32 offs and was planning to start working on 35s. Took the last week off...did more band work and tennis ball pressure on the sore area.

Looking for an update from anybody that uses the shoulder sphere (past or present) and would recommend it or have any other ideas…thanks!

• Elite Skier
@mac Yes I used it for a while in the back half of recovery, definitely couldn't use it until I had most of my mobility back after the injury had healed quite a bit. I had a partial labrum tear. I used bands throughout my recovery more than anything though. 1 month off, 3 months PT, 3 months of working out before I skied.

• Baller

Another excellent tool for shoulder and upper arm rehab and strengthening is the BodyBlade. Grip the bar in the middle while holding arm in various positions, straight and elbow bent. Then, make the ends vibrate back n forth with just subtle movements of the arm/shoulder.

Like the shoulder sphere, you will tire you arm/ shoulder muscles quickly until you rebuild strength and endurance.

uvbnkguzwkdi.jpg

• Baller
@mac if your issue is one of impingement rather than an actual tear or structural damage, give dry needling a try. I've had issues with my right shoulder for two years and did the whole PT route. Got MRI (showed nothing of interest), cortisone injections, etc. Nothing really seemed to help until I started needling with E-stim. After my first session, I could tell a huge difference. I was throwing a baseball with my nephews two weeks ago and putting some gas on it. That would have brought me to my knees a few months earlier. And it wasn't sore the next day either. Crazy.

• Baller
I have no experience with this product, it may work fantastic. What I have had great luck with are the simple but super effective exercises that I got from a trainer who used to work on pro baseball players. Lots of band work and simple motion exercises to help with both strength and impingement issues. All my pain went away and I have a lot more range of motion. Best part is that they are free, less the cost of bands that many already have.