Malibu Response Throttle Return Spring

nam1975

• Baller

I’m looking to add this.

My linkage test only has about half the movement compared to the troubleshooting video on Perfect Pass website.

Monsoon motors have the metal adapter bracket, and not the brass “L” fitting.

Any ideas or picks on where to hook the spring to on the throttle cable end? Pic attached, but it gets hung up a little.

Should I drill a hole in the front of the adapter plate?

Also, could I be due for a new throttle cable? Boat is a 99, and not been replaced since I bought in 09.

Thanks Ballers!

• Baller

f00rarycbcav.jpeg

Think this is a 4” spring. Just bent the ends to fit. End not visible attached to a round piece on the intake manifold casting that was in a handy place.

2001 Response with 325 HP Monsoon.

Had a similar issue. The spring did not cure it. Ordered a new cable and that fixed it. The old cable was twisted in the casing and caused the drag.

• Baller

Looks like you have it backwards but very hard to see. Show us some more photos zoomed in and out plus a video of 1/2 throttle and full throttle, with the engine NOT running, with PP running in servo test mode.

The spring should be mounted near where the servo cable joins the throttle cable. It should be trying at all times to pull the servo cable back towards idle. The servo never pushes back to idle it just loosens and allows your return springs to pull the throttle back the required amount

• Baller

@nam1975 the spring setup there is wrong. It should be fighting the servo, not helping it. The spring needs to be as long as practical because you want the extra help at low throttle, without too much at high throttle. At high throttle there should already be a sufficient return spring in the engine. A long spring which is strong enough to make the engine return to idle reliably but only just is what you want.

A short, strong, spring will be too much.

Mount the spring as close to the joint of the servo/hand throttle cables as possible. Not miles above or below it but as close as you can

Post both the servo test videos I described.