Stolen boat from the Hilltop Lake, Arlington WA, just north of Seattle

RichardDoane

• Administrators
My guess is if you bought all the OEM parts to reassemble that boat and start over from scratch it would cost more than buying a new boat off the lot.

• Baller

@Horton exactly.

Only interesting for someone who crashed his 200 hull.

The spray paint should sand off fairly easy and the original gelcoat needs probably only a buff. That is if the idiots didn’t do any damage to it.

It’s a sad story nonetheless!

Hope the original owner had insurance covering for it!

• Baller
if the trailer stayed with the boat it wouldn’t be a bad situation. Paint would clean up but will be hard. I’d imagine getting OEm windshield would be tough. After that gravy work and $23k you’d have a good SN200. It’s be really awesome to pair it up with one of the repowers Skip seems to come up with.

• Administrators

@Orlando76

No. I think you have it exactly backwards. All the parts would be easy to acquire but to accumulate everything you need you would spend more money than the cost of a new boat.

• Baller
@Horton Actually it might be less than you think. You are assuming a person would use the exact same parts as original when lots of parts and instrumentation etc from other boats and manufacturers are usable and on sale for peanuts comparatively speaking. Might end up with a used 5.3L with a 196 gas tank, and a 422 prop but lots of stuff would work. Would definitely get rid of the stupid electronic screen and use older ZO head instead. Electrical would be a mess but could be figured out.

• Baller
This story still amazes me. I think that it would be really hard to source the 200-only parts for that. 200s are still too new. Seats, for instance, would be pretty hard to create from scratch. But if you wanted an ugly slalom tug and were willing to try a few different ideas, it might work. But you could buy a bubble-butt for much less effort and money.

• Administrators

@Orlando76 @thager meh. you guys might be right. I just expect all the little things to add up to cost way more time and money than expected. @Jody_Seal ?

I know a guy ( @rawly ) whose daughter submarined a boat a few years ago. He purchased it back from the insurance. He could never get everything to work right again and sold it. ( He is a retired aerospace machinist so you would think he could figure it out )

• Baller

I see windshield being toughest. Seats being a second but you do have flexibility for minimal interior as a possibility, without being fugly. Abandon the linc crap and go analog, a 343excal can be had with pcm 80 (good used) for less than $5k. Convert to ZO (guessing $3.5k). That’s $8500. Add 5k to piece part of a clean interior together, $12.5. Add $5k for incidentals which is realistic IMO, $17.5, if the boat and trailer were together for $5k that’s $22.5k. Go with that dirty word, PerfectPass, and save $2500 and have a good pull.

Now, if you were to think about putting a price to your time, even subrate it at $25 an hour, FUGETABOTIT go buy a whole boat. If you like to tinker, it’s fun project in my eyes.

I once built an NWZ, no more than 3 items were from the same boat, in the water in less than 2 days. I started with Clean enough hull, new carpet installed, then the race was on with assembly of everything else. Granted I spent over 2 years sourcing parts and storing parts, I do not recall any major fabrication bc all parts were from NWZ’s or 2001’s. I did have help installing and aligning and tuning motor. That was gauges installed, wiring harness in, plumbed, used complete motor and tranny, I put complete correct interior in. Within 48 hours it was running 47 mph and only problem for a year was in gas gauge. Then I sold it to family for $5k! That was pre wife and kids.

• Administrators
@Orlando76 it ALL for sale. None of the parts are hard to get but not cheap. If someone tried put together on the cheap with odd parts I expect the result would be sad.

• Baller

Would have to agree with the “why bother” camp on this one...

As someone who would rather build something than buy it and has the skills to do so, even I can’t see putting that much time, effort and money into that...take the insurance and find a different boat...

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal is that $15k with all parts at wholesale and not counting your time? Also when you say usable condition do you mean still kind of stripped or looking like a 200 is supposed to look?

• Baller_

@Horton

About the only thing I would need to purchase new would be windshield, pylon and rear locker covers.

I have a e- controlled non cat 6 liter and trans combinations, strut, fins, shaft, rudder, steering.drivers seat, a motor box out of a 196. List goes on. Would it be a real 200 when I was done ? Real enough for my needs. Anybody that has rat holed and scraped as many boats as I have will have enough parts to make a tractor.

• Administrators
@Jody_Seal what I am getting at is... what would it cost for someone without your collection of parts and pieces?

• Baller

It has to be winter when people are excited about redoing this boat. I'm guessing that 90% of the people on this forum neither have the capability and most importantly the TIME to redo a boat that was so severely damaged and missing most of the parts (I know I don't have time to do this).

I was one of the guys who had their boat totaled at Aquaplex last June. I had a beautiful 2015 200 Tournament Team boat with a 6 litre and about 380 hours. I'll bet that boat had almost every available option including seat heaters (love those)!

Almost all the boats that went down at Aquaplex were either highly optioned or very new - one Malibu was a whopping 7 days old.

The insurance company totaled the thing and the boat was resold to a really nice kid in his 20's who skied collegiate. He reached out to me and I was able to ship him (at his cost) the front/rear/jump seats. For sure I didn't need them. Turns out that 2 of his buddies also bought some of the other Aquaplex boats and are redoing them.

Everyone is an engineer or mechanic of some sort. Lots of time of their hands. From what I've heard these guys are spending crazy time going through all the electrical systems/engine/systems and either meticulously cleaning and/or replacing parts as they go.

And no trailer - I kept it and he has to go buy one.

Yes, sometime in the end they'll have a skiable boat for maybe 25-35k but at what true cost? AND remember that my old boat and also the boat in this thread will ALWAYS have a salvaged title. I have great respect for this kid and what he is trying to do, however, that boat will be tough sell to anyone else except close friends or family.

Nope - Not for me.

• Baller

@Kelvin scored off of me to help with the conversion cost. But I rebuilt the American Skier with his old engine and now have the coolest boat ever! It was a fun project.

While I will never get on @Horton 's good side, at least I won't get nasty memes by saying that it makes more sense to buy a Mastercraft than fix up an obsolete 200.

Unless you enjoy wrenching on things. Restore a classic car? Or get a sweet modern boat!

Eric