Zero Off Announces New Software for 3 Event Water Skiing

ROBOT

• Baller

zologo.svg

Zero Off Announces New Software for 3 Event Water Skiing

Zero Off and the three event towboat manufacturers will release the new Revision S (Rev S) software operating system beginning with 2019 model year boats, Rev S will enhance the existing SLALOM PLUS mode for skiers who want a more responsive pull.

After 18 months of testing and validation, the new Rev S will:
• Retain the current slalom settings (A, B, C, 1, 2, 3) and features skiers have come to appreciate with Rev R; and
• Enhance the existing SLALOM PLUS setting with a firmer more responsive pull when “+” is used.

Skiers who like a bit more acceleration out of the turn will find that the Rev S SLALOM PLUS setting improves acceleration through the wakes, resulting in an earlier and freer feel into the next buoy. Skiers of all abilities and sizes will find that Revision S allows them to optimize their skiing and break new personal records.

Rev S will be available starting July 2, 2018.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Hopefully this is the software upgrade is a step towards "trick mode". If this is the case I believe that the + will be used to increase the Kp value as it is for trick and this is changing/revising the current + settings that almost no one was using.

It is easier for them to change just the + values because many of the control systems do not have the programming for another variable option. ZO Head units and especially proprietary boat screens would need a new program loaded in conjunction with the ZO upgrade as well.

• Baller

My understanding of the original + setting was that it helped pull big guys out of the whole they dug when they turned in for the gate but didn't do much the rest of the way down the course. Is the new one a smoother version of that or is it something completely different?

At 36 and using C1 I never feel like I need "more responsive" but having been accidentally pulled at 34 once by Mr. Austin down at the Aquaplex I could see how a person could dig a hole at the ball when you're carrying a little less baseline speed. I don't know if that is just me or a more universal experience though.

• Baller

@disland AWSA Rule 8.10.h. Software changes are permitted as approved by the Towboat Committee at any time during the season, except that no changes that affect skier pull will be permitted between July 1 and the conclusion of that year’s National

Tournament.

So, unless rule changes are made, Version S will not be allowed this year until after Nationals.

• Administrators

THIS IS TRICK MODE! (mostly)

This is not 100 percent exactly the same as actually slaloming in trick mode but they took the positives of trick mode and blended it with the approved slalom mode. Pure trick mode is more radical than the new mode and with some boats pure trick mode will almost throw you to shore. This is way better.

@dirt the update is free but only works on single puck ZO.

@UWSkier it is not literally trick mode but it is very much in that direction

@vtjc yes

@MISkier the new mode replaces the old plus mode

@disland NO - you do not have to use it. It is not a change if you do not want it to be.

The only possible downside is for the skiers who used the old plus mode. There were a few skiers that used it but not very many. For everyone else there is one extra tweak that you can use or not.

Skiers with older ZO in their practice boats will not have the option but as long as then do not ask for plus in a tournament it should not be an issue. Their practice pull be as close to their tournament pull as it always has been.

• Administrators

@Bruce_Butterfield I am not 100% sure but I agree it is a shame. I think it is about developer cost/time.

You are an engineer.... you know that something that should cost $1 costs $10 by the time it gets through QA and 14 layers of approvals. That is my guess. I say we should be happy for what we have been given.

• Administrators
@disland because I am Intergalactic! They gave me the press release first because I have been bird dogging them to announce the new version.

• Baller
I see that it is on the front page of USA Waterski now and mentions available July 2. At that point I can run it for practice, but for tournament use I can't have it in my boat for a tournament until it hits THIS list. The chief driver at every tournament should verify the software version in ZO is the current approved version. Once it hits the list I will bring my update cable and Diacom with me to tournaments I attend and will be happy to load the new version in all boats on-site.

• Baller

I have been using + mode since it came out. Without it, feels like I lost a lot of pulling power from the boat. I am 6'4"@220 and think it's great. My 155lb ski partner hates it, so it seems to be a Big Guy thing. Looking forward to Super Plus !!!!

• Baller
I won't notice any difference with the new settings. I knew not ever skiing with ZO until this year would pay off. I'm planning to ski with ZO for the first time in my first tourneys in 11 years this August and Sept.

• Administrators
@scotchipman my understanding is the new mode will have exactly the same gate speed as standard mode. This could be a inconvenience for the guys that currently use plus but it will make the transition back and forth between the new plus and standard less radical for the rest of us

• Administrators
@markchilcutt I don't exactly know what it costs but I know plenty of people who have made the transition. It's not rocket science.

• Baller

The garmin dual puck set up is outdated. It’s not a huge difference but is noticeable. So if you are a tournament skier it’s best to upgrade to current. I think it’s a few hundred bucks for the puck and you need to Reflash

If you are garmin for the long run I guess you can slalom in trick mode. I agree with horton, we should be happy with what we have.

• Baller

@markchilcutt we have a cable here in Utah and can use it to upgrade any boat that would to install the new S release.

With regard to 1.6% gate over speed, this is no longer needed because the increase in KP value does not allow the bigger guys to slow the boat down. These boats have lots of horsepower that have been under utilized for a long time. Time to let the dog of the chain and see what it can do!

• Administrators

@MS that is the single most uninformed thing you have ever posted in this forum. The new mode exists because a few skiers includuing myself think it is better. If you like the old standard mode nothing has changed for you and if you find that you like the new plus mode then you can use it.

You are so profoundly wrong I cannot even manage to give you a Panda.

• Administrators

Unfortunately the hardware spec changed. Seems like the old pucks failed a lot and new single puck systems do not.

If you like the old version then use it and stop crying in your IPA.

• Baller

Can’t everything just stay how it is right now

-the Amish

If it’s truly better then it’s a bummer it can’t retrofit to older systems. Also if it’s truly better I hope it simply replaces the existing settings so we can put this whole “+” thing behind us. Can they develop a setting that lets me run 41 by the way? I think that’s what all of us really want anyways ;)

• Baller

I think it is funny how we forget the past. I'm sure we could dig up old rants about upgrading PP software each year. ZO lets you do it for free (Ok, you need the com connection, but I'm sure you can find someone with one). I remember upgrading to a 5" display vs. the square mount for PP and don't forget the single line screen vs. multi line screen. Then their was a fee for going to Star Gazer. These business have to advance and develop new systems. The old pucks were failing, you had to buy new ones. Now ZO has a new single puck, if it has more reliability and last longer, isn't that better in the long run?

I may be forgetting some upgrades, but ZO has been out for 10 years and this new "S" is the third major revision? We had "Q" and "R".