Better wake on Nautique 216

Canuck44

• Baller
I have an 06 Nautique 216 sport. I am really happy with the boat as budget family ski/play boat but the wake has a good bump at 22 off. I ski at 30/32 15/22 off and would like the bump to be smaller for sure. I took out the ballast and pumps and saved about 80 lbs and am eying the tower for another 100-120 ish. I figure I could get 300 lbs without really hurting anything. Am I going to notice any difference or is the longer hill on the boat going to hold the wake back despite weight savings?

• Baller
Hard to say since its a different boat. And some may argue. But I had a 2005 Malibu Response LXI. The wake was a bit hard at 15 and a good bump at 22. I removed the tower and wedge. Made a big difference.

• Baller
The longer hull and the hull design will not give you an optimum ski wake. You can shave weight off but the hull is designed to displace water as it is creating a hole in the water to make a wake for wake boarding. Pulling in the rope to 28 off will help, but a Nautique 200 would compliment your 216 and help your skiing.

• Baller

I went out the other night and with the wife and 3 kids probably weighing 350 lbs total or so and it seemed pretty good but then again I haven’t skied since Sept. I will give it a try at 28 off and see if I can get through the course at 30, just waiting for the course to get out in it’s early up here and not many skiers out yet.

I would like a 200 ob but it’s not in the cards this year for sure probably 20+ to upgrade to a decent used one. I like the tower for when we’re out as a family or with friends so we can put the rope up high and use the back seat and don’t know if I would get a lot of heat if it were gone and people had to crowd into the front. I would like one of those Center jump seats that would help but then that’s more weight.