Which technique failure is most common for you?

MISkier

• Baller_
We all have certain technique methods we struggle with. And, for many, the difference between skiing well and skiing poorly is found in a small number of mistakes, or one particularly pesky shortcoming, which can be the Achilles' heel most often encountered. As the season gets underway for some, there are items that require focus to avoid impeding skier performance. Which one is yours?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
Related to my vote of arms/hands away and/or not straight, another subsequent issue with me is remembering to reach up at the turn and, of course, counter rotate. Looking back at the selections, I should have listed "Not counter rotating/closed off at the turn". But, surprisingly, nobody has selected "Other" and then said that counter rotation was their issue.

• Baller_
@lpskier, maybe that is why they call it offside turn - it’s the turn that needs the most concentration and effort to maintain good technique and body position.

• Baller
A few interconnected things that all have to do with the edge change and swing up to the apex. Early season for me because I'm just getting started after knee replacement (@thager ) on 2/7/18. I'm not "ski strong" yet and that makes my most glaring error show up - reacting poorly/weakly to the load through the edge change. As soon as my ski starts to move under me from one edge to the other, I let my shoulders (and arms and handle) get pulled over to the inside. Fix? Stay level in the shoulders through the edge change and out to the apex. But, if I'm not driving my COM forward during acceleration, then too much load builds up and I'm more prone to this error. Fix? Keep my COM moving forward so I stay over my ski and the load stays manageable. Result? Great speed on the acceleration, easier-to-manage load, can keep shoulders level, can keep line tight during the swing up, turn is easy. It all starts on my pullout for the gate. If I get it correct there, then I can generally get it correct through the gate, then repeat going left out of 1 and so on.

• Baller
I think my biggest problem is sometimes I lose my mental focus, not sure how to describe it. But when it happens I have a breakdown, it’s usually during a turn and I’ll lean back into a little wheelie or lose handle connection too early and then I’m chasing the course after that.