Kids Ski

Keith_Menard

• Baller

Went to Rini's place a couple weekends ago...WOW! Just an awesome experience, but best of all, I think my son caught the slalom bug. I was getting worried because he seemed to like footin' and just playing around on his combos...but when he saw a ball go past him the first time in the course, you could see him get a little pissed off. Got him!

We went to Performance ski and looked at the TRA...has anyone seen this thing?!?!

It looks like a VERY nice ski at a really fair price point.

fijs5cqigjwa.png

Guess that is how they get the kids hooked :)

• Baller

@BraceMaker my real reason for that thought is that you want the kids going slow when they start out. I think you want to get them running the full course as soon as you can and that means slow speeds. If the ski sinks in the turns it doesn't help them any.

If I was stepping up to buy a TRA I would probably buy the biggest size he will grow into it.

My son skied a 63" HO wide ride which they don't make anymore up to 30 mph. He was heavier than 75 pounds by the time he got there though.

• Baller

The TRA is pretty wide. And pretty wide tail too so doesn’t sink easily from my experience. Width makes it a little hard to roll

It from side to side but is a good trade off at slower speeds and longer lines. My daughter was skiing 30/15 on it with no issues and was ready for a smaller ski by that point.

• Baller

The TRA seems like a really compelling package for an entry level slalom ski. The price is definitely attractive. Sure, he’ll eventually outgrow the performance if you’re chasing buoys regularly, but it’s a decent place to start at a price comparable to a used one on ski-it-again.

My son went from a combo-like slalom, to a 64” iconn (freebie) then down to a 59” Elite (SIA) when the speeds started to pick up. People told me the 59” was too short but he had a new PB just about every time he got it wet. Nice to be 10! He’s probably too big for that one this year so back to the drawing board... Once they are hooked, you’ll be shopping for new skis every year.

• Baller
My son, who is 10 now, learned to slalom on the TRA, great ski, very stable and forgiving. I think this ski has a lot to do with the progress he has made in the last 2 years. It instills confidence because it never surprises them but will perform when pushed unlike a slalom out of a combo set. Last year he was getting through 26 mph and especially at higher speeds it looked as though he was having to force the turn to gain angle, I felt the ski was starting to hold him back a bit so we upgraded to a Vapor this year. The TRA is a great, affordable starter ski. Your son will love it.

• Baller
Both my boys, 9 and 11 are on TRA's. One on a 2015, the other on a 2017. They love them both in different ways. The 2015 is heavier and seems to handle the chop a bit better. The 2017 they say is light and faster when its calmer out. Either way, they are on the dock every morning they can ready to ski - and have tremendous pride of ownnership having their own skis.