Babysitter

LoopSki

• Baller
Last summer my wife had to take a leave of abscence to stay home and watch kids. Dont think they will be so understanding this summer . So I would like to find a live in .Thinking a Chico State , Sac State or UC Davis waterski team member may fit the bill. Someone who doesnt want to go home or pay rent during the Summer break .If anyone knows someone or can pass it on would be great.

• Administrators

@LoopSki I have contacted the UCLA ski team a number of times offering to trade skiing for a little childcare. Monday through Friday I have a lake to myself and a 2018 ProStar.

The response has mostly been crickets.

One alumni skier has come out a few times and one current team member came out once. In both cases I spent more time in the boat pulling them then they spent watching my 3 1/2 year old. Both of these UCLA girls are extremely nice and are welcome back any time but my phone is not ringing.

The best skiing for childcare trade I have made is with a local highschool girl who knows me and whose family knows me. I will be very sad when she goes off to college next year. She can even drive the boat. She has actually become more of a ski partner then a baby sitter.

I think part of the problem is that the college kids don't know you and they really want to ski with their friends. For these college kids skiing is a social activity and trading skiing for nanny work is not a social thing.

• Baller
Make a deal with two (or more) of them - assuming there's room available. I'm not suggesting increasing your cost by 2x, I'm suggesting if they want to divide what you're offering by 2 then you might have room to accommodate two of them. Of course that introduces a whole different level of babysitting the babysitters but the right combination could work.

• Baller
We have done au pairs for a number of years with our kids. Definitely has it’s ups and downs, but overall it has been positive for us. So far we have one that waterskied (successfully...), none have been boat driving material yet. My wife tells me it is about half the cost of a nanny but typically it is a full year commitment.