Do you to belong to a club as a way to get access to a lake or ski site?

Horton

• Administrators

I am specifically asking if you belong to a club as a way to gain access to a ski site or boat.

• Baller
Though I have access to a good public course during summer holidays, the rest of the time the club I recently rejoined was my best option at getting access to a ski site. I have my own boat but they now have a club boat which is a bonus.

• Baller_

It can be very difficult to get a permit for a course on a public lake in Michigan and, when one is granted, it requires that the course be removed after each use. Private sites are the only real way to get convenient, regular access.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I hope some of my comments not considered off topic but this post seemed to be a good way for information about Skiing a private lake in Chattanooga TN area if anyone is interested.

The reason I joined No Wake Ski Club (No Wake Lake designed for three event skiing) in Fort Oglethorpe Georgia (10 miles from down town Chattanooga TN) back in 1996 was to have access to a Private Ski lake.

I lived on Chickamauga Lake (Part of Tennessee River Dam system) and we had a course set up.

This was public water and course skiing could be very challenging at times due to Fisherman and Jet skis.

I joined No wake as a club member in 1996 for a yearly member ship of $2000. This included use of the club boat. You just had to bring your own gas.

My progress in the slalom course increased quickly due to great conditions, no fisherman/Jet ski distractions, great group of people to ski with and get coaching feedback from.

After being a member for a year I bought in as one of the owners of the lake. Just something I wanted to do to have a part in decisions at lake.

Currently 10 people own the lake. 7 of who still ski regularly.

We also have members in the club that are not owners. They pay a membership fee currently $2400 a year. This gives them access to the lake 7 days a week and use of the club boat (2012 Master Craft Zero Off).

We use to get a new boat every year or two but todays boat prices have caused us to have to keep a boat as long as feasible.

The lake is for three event skiing and occasional wake boarder. No pulling of inflatables due to insurance restrictions.

No Wake Board boats allowed due to they destroy our banks and our lake is an average of 5 foot deep.

No homes on the property. It is in a flood plain bordering a large creek so no homes can be built there.

We have membership spots available for 2018 ski season.

We have not had our annual meeting to discuss 2018 member ship fees but it will be between $2400 and $3000 depending on how many members we have apply.

More members to cover lake expenses less individual fees.

Membership includes use of the lake 7 days a week daylight till dark and use of the club boat.

If anyone close to the Chattanooga area is interested in becoming a Member of No Wake contact me at tomjsmothers@aol.com

Thanks

oldmanskier

• Baller
We have course set up on public river that gets harder to maintain all the time. With people running over buoys and trying to keep it straight. Sometimes I`m ready to throw in the towel. There is a club a reasonable distance from here I would love to join or pay for some sets. Been there when they open it up for a pro clinic. They are a small group and there schedule is pretty wide open during week. Although they are very nice people. They didn`t want anymore members and wouldn`t offer any pay per sets.

• Baller
Being a club member gives our family access to a group rate for insurance, a great group of people to ski with and allows us to ski and board in local tournaments. We live on a public lake so don't need a club access but we do use the club course and jump. We use our own boats and will usually rotate boat use.

• Baller

Not exactly sure how to answer.

I consider myself lucky, having the best of both worlds.

I am a member of a private ski club - private lake, their own boat, a driver, well maintained and pristine course.

And I have a boat and cabin on a public lake that has 3 courses. The lake gets busy, the courses need to be maintained and aren't always perfectly straight, and wind doesn't always cooperate. But we're usually able to get out for an hour or 2 in the morning. I'd say 3 out of 4 days we try.

• Baller
Good survey @Horton I am actually surprised by the numbers as I woul have guessed more on the private lakes . I am very fortunate that I am on a public lake with a course . And I have invites from friends that have private lake access . (You all know who you are.... And yes I will bring @Shell )

• Baller

I’m also in between both “yes” votes. Membership to the club gets me access to the lake. Still need a boat, driver etc. We do not have a club boat or driver. Also, not being a member of the club would get me limited access to ski (behind a boat of another club member as their invited guest).

So I picked the option that says I’m a member of a club but that doesn’t impact my access to a boat. Because I still need to arrange a ride behind someone’s boat - there are no club boats and I currently don’t own a boat.

• Baller

Have lived both. Answered as i did being a "club member" by virtue of owning a lot on a private lake, so i bought in to have access. Also was a club member when in Shreveport at Cottonwood when @jdarwin had it. That was the best deal going.

There is a club "near" where i live that would be more cost effective but not really close enough to ski after work. Proximity is everything.

It would be very interesting to see this data broken down by region, type of access, etc. I bet there are some interesting trends that would help to understand the access issues with waterskiing.

I am in the second option. All the major lakes around here have at least 1 course. I can ski the course whether a member or not but joined the club that maintaines the local course because I want to help support the course, participate in the adaptive ski clinic, and get to know the other slalom junkies.

• Baller
I belong to a ski club but ski on public water where we maintain our slalom courses. Anyone can use the courses that we maintain. We do encourage people that use the courses to join the club however if they don't chose to it doesn't impact ability to use the course. Our club fees are less than $100 per year and really just goes to maintaining the course and lobbying the state to make sure we don't lose access to the lake and the courses.