New Ski

Rsearle

• Baller

Hey guys, I’m new to this forum so I’m not really sure if I’m posting this in the right place but I’m hoping you can help me. I am a free water skier who would be interested in going to a course.

I’m currently using my dads old Jobe spectra 1400 which is a good ski but I was thinking about upgrading to my own ski. I was looking at the radar senate (probably graphite). Any other suggestions? Thanks.

• Administrators

@Rsearle ANYTHING new will be crazy better than you old Jobe. Radar Senate, Connelly Carbon V, HO Omni, and O'Brien Conquer are just a few mid range skis that would be a huge improvement over the old Jobe.

If you want to do some reading... start here

• Baller

@Rsearle welcome to BOS. you will hear Radar Senate more than any other ski based on your description. I ski Radar so i am biased but they thing is insane! Horton's review on the senate is quite good too. The Seante for men and Lyric for Woman are taking people into the course! Free skiers can have the best of both worlds with this ski ( Senate).

On another sidenote - Im a huge @MarcusBrown fan and from what i know he has touched every ski HO has made lol - he had a video on the Omni i think...maybe the freeride...but his reviews are awesome and insightful. I'm sure a bunch of guys will add the opinions on this but i'm sure you will see the Senate on repeat here.

Best advice is demo the ski before you buy it, if you can :)

• Baller

@Dacon62 Comparing those two skis is akin to apples and oranges. Very different width profiles, among other things.

@Rsearle Omni has a very wide performance envelope. Depending on how you size it, it works well in the 28-34mph range. Maybe consider our demo program so you can try before you buy...

http://www.hosports.com/syndicate-omni-demo-form.php

Feel free to message me directly if you have any specific questions!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

As others will know, I am a big fan of the Omni [i have an Omni Syndicate] - I have posted about it several times on BallofSpray so you could search under Sivota or Omni. The slightly increased width gives greater stability without appearing to lose any performance. I was given one as a present and so did not try it before I bought. My skiing has improved enormously, and I enjoy skiing on it.

@MuskokaKy is right, you will hear a lot about the Senate, which obviously is a very good ski, but it is not the only one out there.

@savaiusini and @MarcusBrown know the ski well being part of HO, but they are also well respected. To be able to try before you buy seems to me to be a no-brainer. You have nothing to lose and may be excited about how you ski on it. It not, no real loss.

Whichever way you go, good luck. Once you are in the course it will be more addictive than you imagine - and you can freeski when you want to.

• Baller
A slightly wider ski would probably work best for you. Not necessarily a fat ski but something like a senate. I know when I was helping my dad find a new ski (not sure of your age) part of what he was looking for was something that was a little easier to get up on. Sure enough he ended up on a Connelly Carbon V that was a little wider than his first ski (a Jobe 1400) and his second ski (a Connelly prophecy) and he is getting scores that are better than anything he put on on either of the competition skis. The best advice anyone can give you is to try as many skis as possible and pick the one that feels best

• Baller

@savaiusini

Good point about the S2 and Senate being different skis. Just blasted out a quick comment and was not insinuating that my friend liked the Senate better then his S2. He loves his S2 was just saying that he didn’t find the Senate objectionable.