Comp vest recomendations

Rivvy

• Baller
This winter it’s time to replace my eagle platinum vest. It’s starting to split. I’m looking for some recommendations. Things I’m interested in are: boyancy, core support, mobility, and impact protection. I took 2 rib shots this summer and both ended up in cracked or bruised ribs. I’m contemplating another platinum, stokes, or camaro. Thoughts or suggestions?

• Baller
The Camaro that Horton did a review on looks interesting with the built in back support it also looks like it has a wide band in front for added core support. I am in the market this winter also, love my O'Neal Slasher. Have checked at all local dealers no one has the Camaro in stock to try, also at $190 that is a little steep.

• Baller

Hi @Ed_Johnson

The NITRO is our newest jacket out. We have been testing with materials for about a year now trying to find the optimal jacket that provides flotation, protection, and flexibility. The premise being that this jacket is the ultimate competition vest. The jacket has a very smooth outer skin so completely eliminates arm chafing. We also graded the padding aggressively on the front of the jacket to make it more stream lined. The NITRO fits onto you like a glove. The vest sits nicely around hip height. The jacket floats well, it'll float most people to where their shoulders are just poking out of the water.

The EVO 2 is a super comfortable, durable, great feeling jacket. The material has 4 way stretch but is not quite as flexible as the material used on the NITRO. You will get more padding and buoyancy from the EVO 2. The EVO2 is our most popular jacket with great reviews from all levels of skiers

Both Jackets dry incredibly quick. The EVO 2 and the NITRO do not hold water. You can take either jacket before or after being in water and the weight will hardly have changed.

If you prefer a jacket that fits real snug then the NITRO is the way to go. If you prefer a little more padding and flotation but still a great fit then the EVO 2 is the one.

Hope that helps, if you have any more queries feel free to message or call us M-F 9-6pm and we will be more than happy to help. We are skiers also so understand the needs of all levels of skiers.

Thanks

Thomas Asher

StokesSkis LLC

M: +1 (352) 348 0800

M: +1 (352) 348 0791

E: info@stokesskis.com

W: www.stokesskis.com

FB: @stokesskis

I: @stokesskis

• Baller

@Rivvy if you looking for rib protection i think there is no good ones if you search among all fancy light and flexible sewn with pocket in all the different patterns. To get better protection bigger stiffer flotations element is needed to take up the impact and distribute the impact all over the chest instead of an big impact thats just hit an smaller area inflicting damage to the ribs and you can be gone from skiing for weeks. maybe i have wrong but "Think" oldschool HO connelly from the colorful 90s =) nzxq5t0rlld0.jpg

• Baller
Hey guys, thanks for giving the EVO 2 a go. @edmund I hope you like the jacket. Its super comfortable with what we think is a nice amount of padding without being to bulky. @rivvy We do have a high rated impact padding in the vest, so its not just for flotation but also for protection. Hope the vest will help with any unfortunate crashes. @6ball good combination, we have people skiing in the slalom suit in the UK still, think air 45-50degs and water about 50. If anyone is looking to feel one out and are in the FL area. Performance ski and Surf, Orlando and Miami Nautique carry both the NITRO and EVO 2.

Reviving an old thread. As my body position gradually improves, I’m considering a comp vest for next season. I currently have an older Radar x-vest. Would I notice an improvement in fit with a Vapor or Drifter Impact Vest or a Stokes EVO/EVO2.

Also does anybody have any knowledge on Stokes vs Radar sizing? Looking at their respective websites, it appears the Stokes run large. My current Radar x-vest is a medium, but it looks like the small Stokes vest is the correct size based on chest. Although my height and waist suggests a medium. Unfortunately, I do not have the option to try any on.

• Baller

@dfski I'm just getting over a rib injury as well. I was looking at different ones and decided on Stokes EVO 2.

I'm 6' 200 lbs 44 inch chest. I bought an XL and it fits great. It floats me better than my last vest. I bought mine mostly for rib protection and it's working well.

The sizing chart on their web site looks pretty accurate based on my experience.

If you email them, they're very helpful.

• Baller
I did end up going with the stokes evo for this season. Worked great! No rib injuries. Snug to get on but after on feels great. Super flexible. Prob not quite as bouyant as platinum but good enough. I’d say I like stokes over platinum overall. Good luck.

• Baller
@SlalomSteve I ordered both the slasher and hyperfreak from perf ski to decide which one I wanted to keep. I ultimately returned the hyperfreak because the material covering the foam seemed to pick and be less durable than the slasher. I like the slasher vest.

• Baller_

@Minelickskier cool thanks! I actually have the Slasher already and really like it except it's a bit too short on me, and I've heard the Hyperfreak is longer.

I also looked around and it seems O'Neill stopped making the Hyperfreak in 2021 anyways though.

• Members

I'm not seeing rib protection listed in the description of any of the vests mentioned. I'm looking for a jacket with some protection for when I get back on the water after cracking a couple ribs last weekend. Any recommendations for a vest with that as the primary criteria? Current vest is an O'Brien Tech which is really comfy, but no side protection.

**edit--looks like the Camaro does mention shock protection for the rib cage on PerfSki's site