New KD Platinum = PB

ozski

• Baller

So I've been on the new KD Platinum for a few weeks now and to be honest coming off a current Nano XT I was conservative in my expectations. Out of the box the ski felt really nice, fast side to side and an incredible offside so I could feel the potential straight up. Working with Wayne Briant on binding placement and fin numbers I found some fairly middle of the road settings that work really well. The first hint that this ski is something special came when I started running down wind -35's that have been difficult or not possible (for me) on any other ski. Yesterday after a week of the water I ran my -32 opener on some new settings and I can honestly say I've never had a ski turn and come under the line as well as the KD so I shortened to -35 and ran through it, not perfect but comfortable. I decided to cut to -38 for the first time to see if I could get out of 2 ball which I did, then out of 3, then 4 wide and early for 5 and popped the handle behind the boat going to 6. Sitting in the water at the buoy line looking at 6 was a little bitter sweet but a practice PB and a level of comfort and control at -38 that I've never experienced before. If you get half a chance to run a few sets on this ski then grab it with both hands, Terry Winter and Wayne Briant have turned out and amazingly good ski. bf678intx3qg.jpg

• Baller
Thanks for the insight. I am on a Nano 1XT now and plan to try this ski in the spring. I was hoping to hear from someone coming off a Goode. Did you ever get any sensation of the tail blowing out? Would you say the ski comes back under the line as automatice as the Goode, without having to push on it?

• Baller
Can completely agree @ozski . Ive been on it for the last 2-3 weeks. I have not felt this comfortable on a ski in a long time. I had a few gates and 1's at 35 off (58k) last weekend that I have never had before. The 'Terry settings' did not work so well for me and I am currently a bit shorter in length. This ski does nothing crazy, but it just works. Doesnt feel like it sits deep, but happily turns anytime and I would call it a 'fast' and light ski to ride.

• Baller

Current settings -

Front Boot - 29.3

8 Degrees

Ran a 36 MPH skier on these numbers yesterday first time on the ski he was a little unstable on -32 but as he got into -35 / -38 things came together and he finished with 4@-39 which is his best practice score -ever.

@skibug Right now running settings in this range I am skiing better than I ever did on the Goode, the KD feels lighter, faster and turns both sides as well as anything, its also very forgiving if you make a mistake during the turn.

• Baller
Forgot to mention that I am riding the 67 at 170 LBS. Yesterday tried slightly deeper and shorter - 2.500 / 6.850 with the rest of the settings the same as above and these numbers felt even better to me. Ran 3@-38 straight off the dock, over turned 3 ball when I just needed to chill. This is my 3rd set in a row where I've had to run -35 down wind and the KD has taken me through it comfortably.

• Baller

@skibug @gavski I had some downtime through the season with a virus which had a big impact on the amount of passes I could run. So what started out well tapered off but now that I am healthy again i'm happy to report the ski is much more than just a nice honeymoon. I have tried a range of settings over the course of the summer and have ended up back where I started with fairly conservative numbers. I also tried the 66 but it did not suit my style of skiing but it did turn very very well and I know there is another forum member on a 66 who is killing it. So in summary the ski is awesome I'm almost a full pass up on my Nano and into -39 so I have no plans to get off this ski. I'm sure Terry will look after anyone in the US if they need a demo, crazy if you don't.

d2a7sg5durf5.jpg

• Baller

@Deanoski

Front Boot - 29.3-4

8 Degrees

If you are on or close to these numbers on the 67 the ski should behave really well. @bkreis runs longer and shallow on the 66 with great results but I found those numbers did not work for me at all on the 67, the ski would just bite so hard at the finish of the turn I could not run a full pass on it. Going deeper and shorter works ok and might be worth testing but its not the sort of ski that has you thinking much about setup.