WHEN??? 2018 SUPREME CARBON PRO Open Bow

Dacon62

• Baller

Yeah, pretty interested in how this works out as well.

From the skiers around here that have been behind the Centurion Carbon Pro they say it has a really nice slalom wake.

With great wakes, an open bow and hopefully a noticeably lower price point than MC, BU and CC it may shake things up a bit.

Even if tracking is not quite as good it doesn't really matter that much at the 15/22 length I ski at.

• Baller
50's? Why not just buy a one year old Malibu for the same price and not have a stripped down boat? I'll be curious to see if the keep the classy graphics from the centurion or use the god awful ugly stuff they put on the supreme v drives.

• Baller

@oldjeep - I often find myself looking for the heated seats or moving weights around in other boats to balance them and really miss the features in my stripped down Carbon Pro:) I don’t miss a single thing from the 2011 lxi I had before.

Looking forward to seeing what comes next for the Carbon Pro, although I kinda wish they would just put whatever name they want on the current one. The recipe seems pretty perfect as is.

• Baller
Wow a Minnesota Skier who finds heated seats useless!?? You must be in Southern MN?? Hard to beat combo of seats and a heater on your feet in the spring and fall (Maybe not this fall). I understand the S-CP will be ready and AWSA approved for 18, looking forward to pics and specs. This boat should have greater appeal to public water skiers and still offer awesome wakes at almost any line+speed. What's wrong with that?

• Baller

@oldjeep - on cold days I sure like mine! My point however is people throw around the “stripped” word as it relates to the Carbon Pro, but aside from a difficult to navigate touch screen and push button start, I really can’t think of where you get that from. Sure it has SeaDeck instead of carpet too, so maybe it is that musty smell of uncovering a carpeted boat in the morning people miss:). It is the only one of the 4 you can balance in seconds with the flip of a switch- no options required...

All of the boats that were certified to pull tournaments in the last several years ski and drive great. I’ll happily take a rip behind any one any day. I hope the 4 manufacturers committed to tournament skiing continue to bring innovation to this small market.

• Baller

As I have never had the opportunity to test out one can a Carbon Pro owner offer some opinions?

What is the top speed with the 5.7/6.0 liter?

How does the ride compare to say a TXi?

Longer line wakes (15-28')?

Fit and finish?

I hope they nail what people are after on this new model. I am hoping to move into something new/near new in spring and definitely have this boat on the radar screen.

I notice that the current boat has a fairly narrow beam (91") comparatively. I would hope they push the sides out a bit on the new Open Bow version.

@Bdecker...If I'm not mistaken the Carbon Pro is one of 2 boats that offer a passenger side, under bow, ballast tank. Prostar has the MTS (Mastercraft Training System) as an option as well.

• Baller

I have partial ownership of 2x6.0Ls and 1x5.7L

Top speed depends on prop. Standard prop 6.0L 47-49mph. 5.7L around 45mph?

I ski all the current boats and could PB behind any of them. But over all, I am convinced the CP had the best wake at any speed or line length.

I only ride in boats on private lakes so not sure about the ride in open water. Given the Txi is a bigger boat it may be better than a CP.

I think the fit and finish is good and all I need. But Nautique sets the standard and the fit and finish of the 200 is so nice.

I don’t miss carpet at all. I like sea deck better than the bare fiberglass option in the MC or Malibu but I would go fiberglass over carpet.

Come to NorCal and you can test any of our 3

• Baller

@oldjeep I normally agree with you but I gotta call you out on this one. How can you call a boat stripped down and you posted a while back that you have never even seen a CP? I guess every boat needs an iPad on the dash???

We have been through this same conversation many times on BOS. Some try to put down the CP for no good reason. I have enjoyed skiing it many times at longer lines (-15,-22/32-34mph). I hope to get a look at the OB CP next year.

• Baller

My 6.0 CP has a top speed of 48 to 49.

Wakes at longer lines are excellent which is why I own it. My ski partner is my wife and she loves it.

We frequently ski with just the two of us and are big users of the built in ballast balancing feature.

As to flooring I like it far better than carpet. I have also had a fiberglass floor which I prefer over carpet.

I feel my fit and finish is excellent. Of the boats available it is my first choice. It does what it was designed to do efficiently and without unnecessary features for our purposes. That was its design concept and it delivers what was intended. I am sorry to see it going away. I am sure the new changes will benefit some people but they won't be features I want.

I am going into my 35 th year with owning, using, and selling tournament boats from multiple manufactures. The CP for my wife and I is a joy. I love to hear it every time it starts.

The CP is a ski boat pure and simple and a that is my preference.

Having said all the above if I needed a bow rider the new CP Supreme would be of interest.

• Baller

@Bill22 true, never seen one in person but seen plenty of pictures. Not too many folks disagree that the cp is a "basic" boat compared to the big 3. But, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. I'd take a couple year old Malibu over every new supreme or centurion I've seen at the boat shows (no Cp's )

• Baller_

At LaPoint Ski Park, for the past three winters I have skied behind a 2011 CP, repowered 1200 hours ago with a 6.0 liter motor. We just got all new upholstery. We have and use, in Florida, the heater and seat heater. Why anyone anywhere would consider those two options anything other than essential is unknown to me.

I'm a Nautique guy, so anything other than a 200 is a compromise. That said, I very much enjoy skiing behind our boat on our lake with a very short set up. The boat is up to speed and settled down well before the 55's. The wake is hardly noticeable. There is a perceptible spray only in a stiff wind. (Disclaimer: Sadly, I have no experience behind the CP at 39 or shorter.) Behind the wheel, no one will confuse it with a 200, but with no disrespect to Malibu and MC (both great boats in their own rights), the CP is still easy to drive, in my view easier than the other two. Properly balanced or weighted, the boat requires little steering and will stay right where you put it.

I would be quite happy with a 6.0 liter CP as my personal boat, so long of course that it came equipped with a heater and seat heater. I'm sure the Supreme, when released, will only be better than the CP that preceded it.

Lpskier

• Baller
I think carpet is a thing of the past in new SKI boats. Pontoons have already done away with it except in the very base boats. Makes one wonder if the CP was going basic there or leading the way? I love the MC and many of its features-innovations, and the new Malibu seems very similar to the ProStar. But I just wanted a closed bow Ski boat with great wakes and good looks. The CP fills the bill and I don't feel like I am missing anything or carrying around unnecessary features or seating. (But I am keeping a bit more cash in my pocket!). In the end it comes down to how you will use the boat and your comfort with the dealer and\or factory. We are fortunate to have 4+ quality choices in our niche market.

• Baller
Heaters in florida? And as for the seat heater and the heater, we just don't use them. We dress for the weather, and mn folks tend to be ok in 40's-50's . Heck, my downhill speedsuit is less warm than a wetsuit and we do that at -20f. We're going out today again. Hope to get a few more weeks this year before the other ski season starts.

• Baller
For those who’ve owned CP’s, are they really less expensive in overall ownership? Less up front money, but do you give up those savings on resale? We once considered buying one, but the fear of being stuck with it on the backend changed our minds.

• Baller
The market on the current cp has got to be more limited. The other 3 you are likely to also see out in the wild. But a cp not so much. My MC has doubled as a great public lake family boat and private lake ski tug. Worth the extra $ to me.

• Baller

CP increases market by offering an open bow...similar to Bu Response Lx years ago offering open bow with the same hull, the run of MC 190's and 197's, the current CC 200's may be had either way.

I really don't understand a closed bow unless there are performance differences...why not take more versatility with no harm in performance and a better chance to sell it one day?

• Baller
I have the same question as @6balls. Does the closed bow have a better wake or some other benefit? Also, why is the bow so low to the waterline? Seems a little extra height with a bow rider would increase a ski boat's market. Again, maybe that would screw with the ski wake.

• Baller
I agree with you @LoopSki I have told many people if I had to have one boat for everything it would be the MC. (maybe a malibu) but we are lucky to be on a secluded public lake and use the CP to Ski the course in the mornings (so I want the bow closed or sealed well) most of the afternoons are spent on a pontoon with friends-and non skiing family. Got both our boats for the cost of a new ProStar. So that worked well for us. And after a season behind the 6L Centurion @Shell will NOT allow me to sell the CP!!

• Baller
I have two issues with the CP. in my experience, starting at 35 off any headwind at all gives you significant spray. Number two, they're just hard to hold a good line if you get a hard puller off the ball. Especially tough the shorter the line gets.

• Baller

Not disagreeing with @LeonL, but I will share my perspective on the current hull. I was skiing 35 off in a 20+ mph headwind with mine yesterday. There is more spray than the 200 for sure, but not enough to be distracting at 35/38 for me. Everyone is different, and I truly hope to know someday if it is an issue at 39. Currently running a strong tailwind 38 feels a quite a way off for me.

As for tracking, I can’t comment on pulling ultra short line skiers. The best I’ve pulled was mid-39, but he is pretty easy to drive. I think people read the forums, hop in the boat, and think they need to over-drive it. My experience has been minor corrections yield a good path. Again, my disclaimer is that with one exception most of our skiers are in mid 38 and longer category.

In my opinion, the current boat is a really good value. Anxious to see what is next.

• Baller
@Bdecker I have to admit that the boat that gave me the spray is a 2012, and I don't know if the hull changed, but I didn't think so. I've driven different ones and handling is the same. I've driven one (the 2012) quite a bit and I'm not getting better at it. Still a hand full.