mission bay salt use

LoopSki

• Baller
Planning a trip to San Diego this summer and want to take my boat. I've used my previous boats occasionally in salt and haven't had any issues. But I have never left in overnight for a few days. The hotel has slips so it be less hassle to pull out every day. Will be okay or a big no no

• Baller

A few days is probably not long enough to seriously foul, but you might see some signs of growth/fouling. Barnacles can start to show in a week to ten days in some places; I don't know how barnacle prone Mission Bay is. So in short a few days is probably ok but might require some bottom cleaning.

Do you have sacrificial anodes? If not, the other issue is electrolysis. I am not sure how long without zincs is "safe" to moor, but a few days is probably ok. But I am not 100% sure about that, and I personally would not leave it in the water for more than a day without getting an answer to that question.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/how/zinc-and-aluminum-sacrificial-anodes#page-2

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/sacrificial-zincs.asp

IIRC, nautiques don't generally come with anodes without the coastal package, for example.

http://www.nautique.com/models/coastal

• Baller

Oh, come on. A couple days in salt water won't hurt your boat at all. Launching is riskier. A few days is nowhere near enough to grow barnacles, eat through steel or crust up cables. There will be some pretty sweet boats floating next to you at the hotel (Bahia?).

It took months or years of no flush, no rinse, no maintenance salt exposure to damage my boats. I assure you that that kind of abuse will eventually have an effect. But I used and abused the heck out of my old Nautique - it was worth it.

The Chris Craft we lived on at Marina del Rey would go a few years between cleanups. It needed those cleanups but the deterioration was very slow.

Do launch and drive around in fresh water as soon as you get home. Launch slowly and deep to soak the trailer. Get in the boat with lots of water in your suit and let the bilge get extra full with fresh water. A deep rinse is a good thing.

Some people will discount your boat if it ever touches salt water. They are just hammering you on resale. But some people are weird. Or cheap. I got a really good deal on the salt water boats I've purchased. And they have given reliable and long service.

Your boat is a tool for your enjoyment. Use it in whatever water you can.

Eric

PS you now owe me a ride in Mission Bay when you come for this sage advice.

• Gold Member

I'll be the pro-use/devils advocate. Living in Orange County, driving to fresh water and being back by 10am is an impossibility. So, I have no choice but the ocean/salt water.

After 25yrs. of salt use, we sold our Mastercraft on the original "I" beam trailer (painted). My neighbor who bought the boat replaced the trailer. You would have to tear the block apart to see any evidence of salt use. I figure the cost of use was a 25 yr. old trailer and 1 extra set of manifolds and 15 more minutes spent rinsing it down and flushing it out. We never would have put 1,000 hours on it if we kept it out of salt water.

At the hotel, I would not leave my gear/keys in the boat overnight, even though the dock will be semi-secure.

Prior to your trip, launch your boat at home and wax your trailer. Prior to launching in SD, I would use T-9 spray (or comparable) on the engine/electronics & brakes on the trailer. Check underneath your trailer. It probably has holes that will fit a garden hose. After launching, wash the trailer & brakes and flush inside the trailer tube holes. If you have an I beam trailer, even better. Bring a garden hose as they probably don't have one at the launch. Run the engine when you pull it out for 5-7 minutes (water should get warm/hot). If you run your bilge, fill it with fresh water and re-run your bilge.

If you planning on selling your boat anytime soon, then you may need to consider the perceived steeper "salt water" depreciation curve. I have 2 neighbors with brand new X-30s who won't go in salt. They will use them 3x a year on various 3 day trips. That to me doesn't make sense or cents. Upside is I'm making decent slalom skiers out of their wake board kids :)

When you get home, wash & wax the trailer again and you will have a brand new Prostar that hopefully has 20 more engine hours of great family story's.

• Baller
I guess I just have that midwestern mentality, where I couldn't fathom putting my new boat into saltwater. With all Mission Bay has to offer, how much are you really going to use your boat there? You certainly won't beat that glass water on your ski lake. Will you be there long enough to make having your boat along worth it? LOL, your boat, your party, I just hate to see that sweet new beast dropped in the ocean. Again, it's the WI in me talking:)

• Baller

@swc5150 We're having a tournament there tomorrow. Some good scores are likely. Mission Bay rocks.

With that said, I do most of my skiing at my private lake in the desert. Bike rides, Sea World, the zoo, the ocean, Balboa park, Old Town, Tijuana, Legoland and lots of other activities are fun in San Diego.

Of course, having a boat in the water gives you a quick ski ride before all these other activities. Just bring a wetsuit, the water is cold.

Eric

• Baller

Bring your ski. Maybe you can get a course pass and get quality skiing for a quick set. Remember, you are part of the family and you need to enjoy the trip too.

Bring a bunch of knee boards for the kids. The open bay is fun and easily accessible. Bring your trick ski and wakeboard for some fooling around.

If your boat is in the water waiting for you, you can beat the crowds and the wind. Go early and be done before the rental place opens.

Bring the jet skis. There's a great jet ski area by the course. Take turns from the shore there. Some high level jet skiing happens there and it could be very enlightening. (Do stay out of the course, of course). I don't know what the community is like there as I haven't talked to them (they are jet skiers after all) but I have stopped to watch the show. They seem friendly enough - for evil jet skiers.

You and the family will have fun!

Eric

• Baller

Decided to bring the Jet Ski instead. Went out Sunday and it was insane !! I never seen such chaos on public water. Went back on Monday and it was much better. Was sad to hear they no longer do the waterski show at Seaworld. Was hoping my kids could see it. Tried to go by the course but the 5 mile zone was long and my daughter got impatient. Wife and kids had a blast , that's the important thing. Having a great trip and sad to leave. Next time maybe I'll try and catch a set.

xklv0h3grlnv.jpeg