boat comparison

DGravelle

I am looking at two different boats a 2003 rlxi with around 600 hrs person is asking 22000 and a 2004 nautique 206 with 450 hrs person is asking 25000 anyone with knowledge of both these boats could you please give me thoughts on the two

• Baller

I bought a 2006 SNOB 206 in the offseason. I have been loving it. No complaints from me. Best wake to size I tried out (though I never found a decent LXI to test out).

If you have the opportunity, to ski them both, do it. If there are any specific details about the 206 you want, let me know.

• Baller

I owned a similar year 206 and it was an excellent boat. At the same time I owned the 206 my ski buddy had a similar year RLXI that I also drove and skied behind. It was also an excellent boat. This was a while ago, but from my fading memory:

The 206 felt sturdier and to me seemed like it had slightly better build quality/fit/finish than the RLXI; less little rattles and such and a better ride in chop. The 206 tracked like a freight train; it tracked as good or maybe better than the two 196s I also regularly skied behind and a bit better than the RLXI, IMO. I really liked driving the 206 with the more aggressive/heavier men because it tracked so solid. The 206 wakes were excellent at 34/36, especially from 28 off and shorter. It also had a pretty good trick wake, I thought at least.

The RLXI felt more nimble from the seat than the 206, however, and just felt sportier for lack of a better word. It was generally more fun to drive around the lake. And it had significantly better slower speed/longer line wakes for slalom. Smaller women and kids at my club who did not shorten the line generally preferred skiing behind the RLXI; one woman I remember I could tell just did not like skiing behind my 206 at all because she skied at slower speed and sometimes was pretty flat heading into the wake. I personally liked the wakes behind the RLXI a bit better than the 206 for Slalom until I hit 28 off/34 mph, at which point the wakes seemed both about the same to me (for reference at the time 32 off was the hardest pass I could complete in practice and I did not get very deep into 35 off.)

I'd drive and ski both if you can. P ick the one that meets your priorities.

• Baller
It may be worth noting that my 206 certainly has a rooster at 22 off. I'm currently working on 15 off at 32mph, so I've been avoiding it for the moment. My research when shopping backs up @jjackkrash that 28 and shorter is fine. The visual inspection seems to support that, I just don't ski at those lengths.

• Baller

@Obrienslalom The 196 has that same rooster (although maybe not as pronounced) as the 206 @22off. The 1994 Prostar I'm regularly behind has the same. Either of those boats you're either 15 or 28 off.

• Gold Member

Both great boats and what I was looking for last year. I only saw one 206 and the guy wanted as new $$. I would agree with the driving/skiing/pricing commentary above. Seems like prices on West Coast/So. Cal are more expensive than say, Florida as we have less boats for sale. I ended up paying $24k for 400 hr., 06LXi/wedge, heater, tandem trailer.

I would only add that you have to watch the nose of the LXi. It is can be easy to dip especially with passengers.

What are you using the boat for? Both open bow so maybe family/kids etc? If so, options you may want to consider if all else equal: Tower, Cruise Control, Middle Seat, Heater. The LXi has a wedge (option) which is good start towards wakeboard/wakesurf needs as well as a larger fuel tank.

Both are great boats and I would be just as happy owning, driving or skiing behind either. Mid-High end slalom skiers (much better than me) would same the same....and they have above.