Alex Honnold free solos El Capitan

eleeski

• Baller

I was listening to a feature on NPR about Alex Honnold free soloing El Capitan. An amazing feat - especially impressive if you've been to Yosemite and looked up El Cap. Unbelievable if you have climbed there. Congratulations to Alex.

Climbing is one of the best sports to improve strength to weight. Something for waterskiiers to consider as cross training.

I'm a lame climber but it's fun - with a top rope. My climbing sandals are a bit limiting.

Eric

• Baller
One night after a long day and a few brews at the lodge bar, I rolled out my sleeping bag in the meadow in between El Capitan and Bridalvail Falls. Fell asleep as I watched the climbers on El Cap'. In the middle of the night I was awoken by a bright light and while still half asleep I said to myself, crap I'm busted. Then as I opened my eyes I saw that it was the full moon rising over Bridalvail. I had to sit up for a second to make sure I wasn't dreaming. An amazing place for sure. Last month we spent two days in Zion NP. Some amazing sights, hikes and climbing there too.

• Baller

Free soloing a route up El Cap is unreal, its 3000' of continuous climbing at an extreme difficulty. Climbing a route rated 5.13a is like skiing at 39.5' off, except if he falls off the climb with no safety gear, it's all over.

Most excellent, but human, climbers take 5 days to climb the main lines on El Cap, he did it in 4 hours. Just unreal.

• Baller_

Check out "Valley Uprising" on Netflix. Its the story of the progress in climbing over the years in Yosemite. I've hiked there. A beautiful place. If you watch the movie, one of my friends was one of the first to the plane and made $20,000.

Lpskier

• Baller

This was about 3 years ago at my world class local crag where I have bolted over 25 routes (Sonora Ca.). He lives two hours from here whether it be Sac or Yosemite. He came out did all 50 routes in a day (all roped) and only fell on one -my 5.13a I bolted. Yes I will remember that forever!

His feat on the Captain is super hero status of balls, mental focus, skill and just plain psycho in my opinion. I just hope he does not start a family and not be around to raise the kids like so many before him................

A big debate in the climber world has been raised about him being 'monitized'. The route was rigged with remote controlled cameras by National Geographic to capture crux sectors. Most top climbers think he should do whatever he wants. Others think his judgment is off due the pressure of endorsements. This was definitely a personal goal for years -but what's next? Stay tuned for the footage that will come out in a year or so.

Lastly it is interesting a few big sponsors have dropped him such as Cliff bars due to them not wanting to back such an extreme style of our sport and all that goes with it.

Me -I will stay roped in!

hedbh8jbzw43.jpg

• Baller
@cragginshred - right there with you on staying tied-in. More years ago than I will specify My climbing partner and I worked on the Tuolumne Meadows Search & Rescue team for the summer. During which one of our rescues ended being body recovery for a free-soloist who cratered...

• Baller

@Jmoski wow that would have been a horrible experience to have to have lodged in your memory. We have friends who were at the crystal crag in Mammoth when John Bachar fell and died -on a 10b nonetheless.

Foe those who don't know Bachar, he was 'the guy' in Yosemite in the 70's who put a note on the camp 4 bulletin board offering $1,000 to anyone who would follow him soloing whatever single pitch routes he was doing. No one ever took him up on it despite there being many hardcore bad asses in the valley during that era.

Lynn Hill was the first to 'Free' the nose (the regular route) in 94. at the time shattering all that climbers thought was possible. Previously the route as 'Aided' in sections by stepping in stirrups onto gear placed.

To calrify climbing terms often confused,..

'Free'd'- climbed with hands and feet no aide gear, but using ropes, bolts, pitons and cams to clip into

'Aide climbing' - Using aid gear

'Solo'd' -no ropes, harness, cams, bolds or pitons. Just hands, feet, climbing shoes and chalk.

A very small percentage of climbers ever consider soloing.

Here is Lynn doing the regular route. Not the same climb as Honnold but right next to it.

You will get a sense of the exposure and technical aspects of climbing here